[comp.sys.mac] SuperClock problems?

t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (07/09/89)

I think SuperClock may have some problems. I have been using version 3.4 as
well as earlier versions on a IIcx and have been geting a lot of buss errors
and crashes or hangs of various sorts. I noticed on some of those times that
the clock was showing a whole hour and the chime sound hadn't played. This is
what made me suspect SuperClock.  This doesn't occur all the time so I suspect
it is some kind of timming problem with some other piece of software.  I turned
it off and haven't noticed any of these crashes or hangs.

I really like SuperClock and hope this can be fixed.

I'm using System 6.03, Finder 6.1 and a whole slew of INITs,CDEVs, etc.

Anyone else having similar problems?
--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * UofU * t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu

magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) (07/10/89)

In article <2156@wasatch.utah.edu> t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) writes:

>I think SuperClock may have some problems. I have been using version 3.4 as

I just got 3.4 and ran into a problem that doesn't exits with 3.3

It will cause a crash on an SE/30 (the only macchine that I've tried it on)
when you open the control panel, select SuperClock, select timer, select
hours, press the up-arrow key (on ADB keyboard) instead of clicking on the
up arrow control, and you hear a beep.  Anything that I do after that will
cause the system to crash.   (I know, I know...don't DO that ;-)

SE/30, ADB keyboard, 2 meg., multifinder, INIT/CDEV 2.0, all other inits
removed, MacsBug 6.1 installed.

SuperClock 3.3 doesn't seem to do this so I think I'll stick with it awhile
longer.

[Steve, if you are on the net, I hope this info is of some use to you,
thanks for a great clock!]
--
	------------    ------------   ----------------------
	Ben Liberman    USENET         magik@chinet.chi.il.us

>I think SuperClock may have some problems. I have been using version 3.4 as
>well as earlier versions on a IIcx and have been geting a lot of buss errors
>and crashes or hangs of various sorts.

I think the current version is 3.8.....

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

You are false data. Therefore I shall ignore you.

dcbii@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (dcbii) (07/11/89)

In article <32990@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>I think SuperClock may have some problems. I have been using version 3.4 as
>>well as earlier versions on a IIcx and have been geting a lot of buss errors
>>and crashes or hangs of various sorts.
>
>I think the current version is 3.8.....
>
>Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
>         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ

How do we get this new version on the net?  3.3 just appeared in comp.binaries
a couple weeks ago.  Some of us just can't swing ftp access to all those
great archives out there.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Corp.
Engineering & Manufacturing
West Columbia, SC  29169

pj@pnet51.cts.com (Paul Jacoby) (07/13/89)

SuperClock 3.5 just came out here in the MidWest--I think it was probably
plucked from the Source or MacNet or such.  It still keeps the "all known bugs
fixed" claim, and adds the option to have the hourly chime beep once or as
many times as the present hour (more like a real clock).
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

HONORS@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (07/18/89)

In article <32990@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>I think SuperClock may have some problems. I have been using version 3.4 as
>>well as earlier versions on a IIcx and have been geting a lot of buss errors
>>and crashes or hangs of various sorts.
>
> I think the current version is 3.8.....

Where can one get this version?  Also, does it fix the problem with Pagemaker
3.02 fractional fonts that I have heard mentioned?
Travis Butler

briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (07/20/89)

>>>I think SuperClock may have some problems. I have been using version 3.4 as
>>>well as earlier versions on a IIcx and have been geting a lot of buss errors
>>>and crashes or hangs of various sorts.
>>
>> I think the current version is 3.8.....
>>
>Where can one get this version?  Also, does it fix the problem with Pagemaker
>3.02 fractional fonts that I have heard mentioned?

I have tested version 3.3 with PageMaker 3.02, including fractional font sizes,
and it works just fine. Aldus warns of a problem with "SuperClock! version 3."
They leave it unclear exactly which version this is, and so it may have already
been fixed in later SuperClock! versions 3.0x. Or my simple test (which in-
cluded printing out on a LaserWriter) just didn't hit the bug.

I have had none of the problems cited by the original poster with regard to
version 3.4. However, I too would like to get the current version.

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig4.LEN.TEK.COM

d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se (Sven (Sciz) Axelsson) (07/20/89)

Speaking of programs incompatible with SuperClock, both Allegro Common Lisp and
it's lesser cousin Pearl Lisp crashes on startup if SuperClock is installed.
These programs build the menu bar on the fly directly from lisp-calls - I
suppose this is the culprit. N.B. this goes for SuperClock v 3.4, which is
the newest version I've seen.

+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+
|   Sven Axelsson         |  d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se  |  DISCLAIMER:     |
|   dep:t of Linguistics  |          (^^ best ^^)          |                  |
|   univ. of Gothenburg   |        dlv_sa@hum.gu.se        |  This is not     |
|   SWEDEN                |      usdsa@seguc21.bitnet      |  a disclaimer.   |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------+------------------+

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) (07/21/89)

	On my Mac II, SuperClock 3.4 (and earlier versions) bombs when I
	click the OK button to exit the clock configuration dialog.  I
	discovered this happens if you removed all sounds from your
	system.  Putting back a sound resource back in the system
	(or opening a sound file with MasterJuggler/Suitcase type
	uitilities) will solve the problem.

* Louis Demers              * Defence Research Establishment Valcartier      *
* office = (418) 844-4424   * Electro-Optics Division                        *
*    lab = (418) 844-4265   * P.O. Box 8800                                  *
*    bed = (418) 839-9266   * 2459 PIE XI Blvd.                              *
* louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca * Courcelette,  Quebec                           *
* demers@ncs.dnd.ca         * CANADA,  G0A 1R0                               *

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (07/23/89)

> I think the current version is 3.8.....

The latest flavor is 3.5 and is available at better BBSs near you.

Ray

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Ray Terry                            Hewlett Packard Company  /HPG200/02
GEnie : R.Terry                      MacNET: Ray
Packet: N6PHJ @ N6IIU                UUCP  : sun!hpda!hpcupt1!rterry
Domain: rterry%hpda@hplabs.hp.com    SysOp : MacScience BBS (408) 866-4933
IPaddr: 44.4.0.214 N6PHJ.norcal.ampr CIS   : 71150,735
                 Standard disclaimers, etc. apply...
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

----------

chaffee@uvm-gen.UUCP (Alex D. Chaffee,231 Votey,,6581273) (07/24/89)

From article <444@asterix.drev.dnd.ca>, by louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers):

> 	On my Mac II, SuperClock 3.4 (and earlier versions) bombs when I
> 	click the OK button to exit the clock configuration dialog.  I
> 	discovered this happens if you removed all sounds from your
> 	system.  Putting back a sound resource back in the system
> 	(or opening a sound file with MasterJuggler/Suitcase type
> 	uitilities) will solve the problem.

The current version of SuperClock is 3.5.  Maybe it fixes the problem.  I
got it from Compuserve last week.  Would you like me to post it to
comp.binaries.mac?
Alex Chaffee
chaffee@emily.uvm.edu

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) (07/24/89)

In article <1238@uvm-gen.UUCP>, chaffee@uvm-gen.UUCP (Alex D. Chaffee,231 Votey,,6581273) writes:

> The current version of SuperClock is 3.5.  Maybe it fixes the problem.  I
> got it from Compuserve last week.  Would you like me to post it to
> comp.binaries.mac?

Please do, the different places where I get this stuff still have only 3.4 !

					Louis Demers
					louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca