[comp.sys.mac] MacTCP ?

currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (Jeffrey M. Currier) (07/19/89)

In the new version (2.3) of NCSA Telnet the talk about
MacTCP.  I have an ethernet board in my Mac II, but I don't have
MacTCP.  What are the advantages of MacTCP? How can I get it?
Is it free? or How much?

Thanks

Jeff Currier  (602)621-4948                |
Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab          |
University of Arizona, Tucson              |
currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov               |
alternate: jeffc@neptune.ame.arizona.edu   |

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (07/19/89)

In article <2553@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov
(Jeffrey M. Currier) writes:
>In the new version (2.3) of NCSA Telnet the talk about
>MacTCP.  I have an ethernet board in my Mac II, but I don't have
>MacTCP.  What are the advantages of MacTCP? How can I get it?
>Is it free? or How much?

MacTCP is currently available through APDA for $100.00.
This is the single copy price.  The part number is M0230LL/A.
A documentation-only version is also available for $60.00.
The part number for that is M0216LL/A.

You can reach APDA at (800) 282-2732.

Site licenses for this product are also available from:
Apple Computer Software Licensing
20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 38I
Cupertino, CA  95014

MacTCP allows a Macintosh running under Mac OS to access
a TCP/IP network running over either Ethernet or LocalTalk
cables.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels
Apple Computer, Inc.
rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) (07/19/89)

In article <2553@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (Jeffrey M. Currier) writes:
> In the new version (2.3) of NCSA Telnet the talk about
> MacTCP.  I have an ethernet board in my Mac II, but I don't have
> MacTCP.  What are the advantages of MacTCP? How can I get it?
> Is it free? or How much?
>
> Thanks

> Jeff Currier  (602)621-4948                |
> Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab          |
> University of Arizona, Tucson              |
> currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov               |
> alternate: jeffc@neptune.ame.arizona.edu   |

MacTCP can be gotten from APDA, I think that the cost is about $100.  It
is a driver so that many applications may use it at the sametime.  Useful
if you have a database and something like NCSA running.  I don't know of
too many applications that currently use the drivers.  NCSA Telnet, SU-MacIP,
and TCP/Connect are all that I am aware of.  If there are others I would
be interested in knowing about them.
--
Kurt Baumann

InterCon Systems Corporation
46950 Community Plaza
Suite 101-132
Sterling, VA 22170                      Phone: 703.450.7117

timk@zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu (07/19/89)

MacTCP is a TCP/IP driver from Apple Computer.  There are three ways
which I know of to get a copy:

	1. APDA single machine license
	2. Site license - call Apple licensing
	3. Purchase a product such as TCP/Connect.  Any company can arrange
	   with Apple (for a price) to ......asdf.asdf  (legal muckety muck)
	   l......  so that each user gets a machine license to use MacTCP
	   with the product.

NCSA Telnet does not come with MacTCP, so you have to obtain a
license for it yourself.  You can, of course, continue to use our TCP/IP
layers instead(they cannot co-reside with MacTCP).  Source to MacTCP
calling routines and our TCP/IP layers is provided with v2.3.

Tim Krauskopf
NCSA

ech@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (ned.horvath) (07/20/89)

From article <1282@intercon.UUCP>, by kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann):
> MacTCP can be gotten from APDA, I think that the cost is about $100.  It
> is a driver so that many applications may use it at the sametime...

Except that (1) NCSA Telnet needs to be rewritten (and large chunks scrapped
outright) to exploit MacTCP; and (2) Apple charges the distributor of a
program $2500 (one time, I think; or that may be annual; anybody on the net
from Apple SW licensing?) for distribution.  Now if Apple could waive the
fee for a PD program like this...

A more interesting question is what it might take to combine MacTCP with
the new Comm Manager -- there's not much to Telnet proper -- so most of
the NCSA Telnet package is "in the libraries."  Hmm...

=Ned Horvath=

desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) (07/21/89)

In article <662@cbnewsk.ATT.COM> ech@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (ned.horvath) writes:
> In article <2553@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov
(Jeffrey M. Currier) writes:
> > In the new version (2.3) of NCSA Telnet the talk about
> > MacTCP.  I have an ethernet board in my Mac II, but I don't have
> > MacTCP.  What are the advantages of MacTCP? How can I get it?
> > Is it free? or How much?
>
> From article <1282@intercon.UUCP>, by kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann):
> > MacTCP can be gotten from APDA, I think that the cost is about $100.
It
> > is a driver so that many applications may use it at the sametime...
>
> Except that (1) NCSA Telnet needs to be rewritten (and large chunks scrapped
> outright) to exploit MacTCP;

This has already been done for you. NCSA Telnet 2.3 works with MacTCP.

> and (2) Apple charges the distributor of a
> program $2500 (one time, I think; or that may be annual; anybody on the net
> from Apple SW licensing?) for distribution.  Now if Apple could waive the
> fee for a PD program like this...

MacTCP is an init, separate from the program that uses it. It is not
distributed with NCSA Telnet - you buy it separately. It costs $100
a pop or $1000 (I think??) for a site license. You don't pay merely
for distributing programs that work with MacTCP. (as I understand it)
The $2500 may be for distributing MacTCP with your product, so your
customers don't have to shell out an extra $100. I have no idea, really.

Note that the main advantage of MacTCP is that it lets you run
multiple applications which use TCP, as well as letting you use TCP
from HyperCard XCMDs and your own programs.

> A more interesting question is what it might take to combine MacTCP with
> the new Comm Manager -- there's not much to Telnet proper -- so most of
> the NCSA Telnet package is "in the libraries."  Hmm...

At first glance it seems easy - make a TCP tool and combine it with a
vt100 tool. But I have no idea how you would do the Telnet option
negotiation.

> =Ned Horvath=

                                      Peter Desnoyers
                                      Apple ATG
                                      (408) 974-4469

Disclaimer - I am in no way associated with Apple Marketing, Sales,
or Licensing. Prices shown above are opinions for discussion rather
than quotes or offers.

amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (07/21/89)

In article <662@cbnewsk.ATT.COM>, ech@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (ned.horvath) writes:
> NCSA Telnet needs to be rewritten (and large chunks scrapped
> outright) to exploit MacTCP;

How so?  What stuff in MacTCP does NCSA Telnet 2.3 not "exploit?"  What
large chunks need to be scrapped?

The MacTCP version of NCSA Telnet 2.3 has a completely new network module
that uses MacTCP instead of Tim & Gaige's network code.  Yeah, it might be
possible to tune it a little more (although it still gives a lot better
performance than the non-MacTCP version), but I can't see anything else.

Truly curious,

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation
--
amanda@intercon.uu.net  | ...!uunet!intercon!amanda

z8my@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (07/21/89)

Ned:

In article <662@cbnewsk.ATT.COM> ech@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (ned.horvath) writes:
>Except that (1) NCSA Telnet needs to be rewritten (and large chunks scrapped
>outright) to exploit MacTCP; and (2) Apple charges the distributor of a

Those demons an UIUC have already produced a MacTCP version of NCSA Telnet!

>=Ned Horvath=

Sam Paik
d65y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (07/21/89)

In article <2937@internal.Apple.COM> desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) writes:
>MacTCP is an init, separate from the program that uses it. It is not
>distributed with NCSA Telnet - you buy it separately. It costs $100
>a pop or $1000 (I think??) for a site license. You don't pay merely
>for distributing programs that work with MacTCP. (as I understand it)
>The $2500 may be for distributing MacTCP with your product, so your
>customers don't have to shell out an extra $100. I have no idea, really.

A single-use license version of MacTCP is available through APDA for $100.
You can reach APDA at (800) 282-2732.

Licenses for MacTCP are available from Apple Software Licensing:
Apple Computer Software Licensing
20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 38-I
Cupertino, CA  95014

Typical prices for licenses are:
$2500 -- Internal-use site license
$5000 -- Commercial-use license
There are also special licenses available for educational institutions.

Contact Software Licensing at the above address for details.

timk@zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu (07/21/89)

>Ned:
>
>In article <662@cbnewsk.ATT.COM> ech@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (ned.horvath) writes:
>>Except that (1) NCSA Telnet needs to be rewritten (and large chunks scrapped
>>outright) to exploit MacTCP; and (2) Apple charges the distributor of a
>
>Those demons an UIUC have already produced a MacTCP version of NCSA Telnet!
>
>>=Ned Horvath=
>
>Sam Paik
>d65y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

It is no secret trick.  We have been working with and helping Apple test
MacTCP since August of 1988.  Both MacTCP 1.0 and NCSA Telnet 2.3 are
available now.

See our recently posted information sheet for how to get a copy.

As Ned pointed out, we do not distribute MacTCP itself.  You can look into
getting a site license from Apple or individual licenses from APDA, or
for free, you can continue using our TCP/IP protocol implementation instead
of MacTCP.

Tim Krauskopf
NCSA

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (07/21/89)

> Apple Computer, Inc.

By my count at our site, we received 8 messages in a row from Apple employees
and 12 of the last 14 were from Apple.

It's like a convention.  Keep up the good work...

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) (07/21/89)

<
< Except that (1) NCSA Telnet needs to be rewritten (and large chunks scrapped
< outright) to exploit MacTCP; and (2) Apple charges the distributor of a
< program $2500 (one time, I think; or that may be annual; anybody on the net
< from Apple SW licensing?) for distribution.  Now if Apple could waive the
< fee for a PD program like this...
<
< =Ned Horvath=

NCSA Telnet comes in two versions. One that has it's own TCP/IP routines
and one that uses MacTCP *IF YOU HAVE IT ALREADY*. It does NOT come with
MacTCP because of the $2500 fee. You can get MacTCP from APDA for $100.00
one machine (only) and then get the revised version of NCSA Telnet. You
are then up and running!

--
Lance Ellinghouse
Mark V Systems, Ltd.

rpbert@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Raymond Pierrehumbert) (07/23/89)

Does the MacTCP implementation of NCSA telnet offer any improvement
of the FTP speed over the NCSA tcp/ip implementation?

timk@zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu (07/24/89)

	Does the MacTCP implementation of NCSA telnet offer any improvement
	of the FTP speed over the NCSA tcp/ip implementation?

Yes, it does.  MacTCP approximately doubles the transfer rate under
MultiFinder because it steals more time from MF than the
NCSA TCP/IP does.  Under Finder, the transfer speed becomes limited by
the SCSI disk drive so you won't notice so much difference.  The SCSI
drive buffering we use limits to 60-80KB/sec.

Tim Krauskopf
NCSA