[comp.sys.mac] Stuffit Downloads

damour@rocket.UUCP (Kevin Damour) (07/18/89)

  Just a quick question - How can a binary version of a
stuffit file from a source like uunet be unstuffed on a mac?
I have tried setting the file type to SIT! and I get a
bad or damaged header warning message when I try to unpack it.
Is there an easy way that I have overlooked?
  Thank you,
   Kevin Damour
   Sanders, A Lockheed Co.
   uunet!rocket!damour

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (07/22/89)

In article <680@rocket.UUCP> damour@rocket.UUCP (Kevin Damour) writes:

>  Just a quick question - How can a binary version of a
>stuffit file from a source like uunet be unstuffed on a mac?
>I have tried setting the file type to SIT! and I get a
>bad or damaged header warning message when I try to unpack it.
>Is there an easy way that I have overlooked?

Some things to think about
1) You must use *binary* ftp to transfer the file from uunet to your host.

2) The StuffIt file may be stored as MacBinary (BinHex 5), probably with
   extension ".bin". If you download it from your host to your mac
   with MacBinary [xyz]modem, it will show up on your mac as a StuffIt
   file with the proper icon.
   If you don't have a program that does MacBinary file transfers,
   use ordinary *binary* [xyz]modem or *binary* Kermit and then decode
   it with BinHex 5.

3) A StuffIt file has only a data fork. It may be stored in that way
   on a host. If it is, then download it as a normal binary file
   (not as a MacBinary file). Then use ResEdit or another tool to
   change the file type and creator to "SIT!" (case sensitive).

--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (07/24/89)

In article <1989Jul21.195445.23775@lth.se> Roland Mansson writes:
>3) A StuffIt file has only a data fork. It may be stored in that way
>   on a host. If it is, then download it as a normal binary file
>   (not as a MacBinary file). Then use ResEdit or another tool to
>   change the file type and creator to "SIT!" (case sensitive).

If my memory serves, I believe that option-open or bucky-open will allow
you to attempt to open any file as a StuffIt archive.
--
	Roger L. Long
	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com