[comp.sys.mac] net bitch

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (07/22/89)

Craig Hollabaugh writes:

>I have been reading the net news for about two months....things i'm
>getting tired of

>  long signature files. come on, 3 lines should be enough

Amen.  I've been reading net news for a little longer than you, from a
private BBS, and I agree wholeheartedly.  Some of those cute little quotes
and sayings get real boring after the 1000th time; they only take up
bandwidth.  Often, I'll get 24 lines of signatures stuff filling my
screen, and will have to scroll way back just to get to the meat of the
message.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

Craig Hollabaugh writes:

>  many of these questions dealing with features of software and hardware
>  can easily be answered by visiting a computer store.

Well, Craig, you've never visited Micro Center in Columbus, OH.  :-)  What
I'm saying is, computer store support is, in our area, more often than not
detrimental for the user.  I know about a million times more than the best
(a simple qualifier, not implying "good") computer salesman in town.  And
it's been because I follow this net and others.  Thank goodness for the
Subject line and the good use most netters make of it; it allows me to
easily pick and choose as I read this stuff on (or off) line.  I saw the
proliferance of "postscript file to disk" messages and simply skipped
right past them.  No big deal.

I just think this topic is a bit hard to make judgments on, so maybe we'd
better err on the side of caution and assume people CAN'T get computer
store support?  Just a thought...

--Adam--

--

macgyver@banana.cis.ohio-state.edu (wilson m liaw) (07/23/89)

In article <16567.24C81D43@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:
>Amen.  I've been reading net news for a little longer than you, from a
>private BBS, and I agree wholeheartedly.  Some of those cute little quotes
>and sayings get real boring after the 1000th time; they only take up
>bandwidth.  Often, I'll get 24 lines of signatures stuff filling my
>screen, and will have to scroll way back just to get to the meat of the
>message.

	If you don't like the quotes, either hit n or hit return depends
on what kind of host programs you are on. Like some stated before, you see
something you don't want, don't read it...

				Mac
-=-
Wilson Mac Liaw                           $  Two sure ways to tell a sexy male;
Internet   : macgyver@cis.ohio-state.edu  $  the first is, he has a bad memory.
CompuServe : 71310,1653                   $  I forget the second :)
GEnie : W.Liaw                            $

David.Bolduc@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Bolduc) (07/24/89)

YEAH! Cut the signature lines!

--
David Bolduc via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!David.Bolduc