[comp.sys.mac] Everex quality problems

thwang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (HWANG TSONG-WEN) (07/20/89)

I'd like to defend Everex, since I am working for them.  On the
other hand, I've only been working for 4 weeks, so I'll just
tell what I know instead.

Everex has only recently started producing Mac peripherals.  The
Abaton peripherals have even less backing behind them, since
Abaton was bought by Everex within the last year.  Give the
company some time; their IBM products do have a pretty solid
reputation.

Everex's Emac (Everex Macintosh.  Yeah, I thought it was cute, too)
division has been fairly reliable; aside from the 20 Meg HD's,
they use Quantum drives, and their modem and Ethernet boards are ok.

I can't say much about the customer support, since I'm in
engineering, except sorry for the hassle they've given you.

John Yen (jyen@cs.utexas.edu or thwang@cory.berkeley.edu)

MAC.ROMOS@applelink.apple.com (Ian Hendry) (07/21/89)

In article <15607@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> thwang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (HWANG
TSONG-WEN) writes:
> Everex has only recently started producing Mac peripherals.  The
> Abaton peripherals have even less backing behind them, since
> Abaton was bought by Everex within the last year.  Give the
> company some time; their IBM products do have a pretty solid
> reputation.

I thought Everex bought Abaton in the Nov. 1987 time frame...  I know my
friends who worked there were getting Everex paychecks by January 1988 at
the at the *latest*!  That would make it more like "almost two years".  I
am not trying to jump on you, but I am pretty sure you are wrong and that
"new acquisition" is not an excuse in this case.

Ian Hendry
MAC.ROMOS@applelink.apple.com
Make sure my name is in the subject of any Email, or post replies to
network.
TE: 408-974-4737

Disclaimer:  It was all HIS idea anyway!  Nothing I say reflects anything
my employer means... or anything I mean for that matter.

thwang@cory.Berkeley.EDU (HWANG TSONG-WEN) (07/25/89)

In article <2940@internal.Apple.COM> MAC.ROMOS@applelink.apple.com (Ian Hendry) writes:

>I thought Everex bought Abaton in the Nov. 1987 time frame...  I know my
>friends who worked there were getting Everex paychecks by January 1988 at
>the at the *latest*!  That would make it more like "almost two years".  I
>am not trying to jump on you, but I am pretty sure you are wrong and that
>"new acquisition" is not an excuse in this case.
>
>Ian Hendry
>MAC.ROMOS@applelink.apple.com

My mistake.  In part, I know there are still bugs getting unkinked between the
Mac and the Abaton scanner; I just couldn't believe basic bugs are getting
worked out now over a _year_ after the acquisition.

Sorry.

John Yen (thwang@cory.berkeley.edu)