[comp.sys.mac] Bug in MacDrawII

wjb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Bill Buikema) (07/18/89)

Can anyone who has MacDraw II version 1.1 tell me whether the following
bug has been fixed?  (Warning: this may generate a system error)

			Open a new document and turn autogrid off.
			Draw a simple box, any size (line width = 1).
			Draw a second box 1 pixel inset from the 1st box.
			Save the document as a PICT file.
			Now try to open it again.

	With MacDraw II version 1.0v4 this causes a system bomb or an out of
memory warning followed by a system bomb.  I notified Claris about the
bug before version 1.0v4 came out, and was wondering if it was fixed in
the latest version.

	In case anyone is wondering how I found this bug, a program I had
written was saving a PICT file of drawing commands with (you guessed it) a
box with another box inset within it.

Note that this bug does not occur in MacDraw 1.9.6.

Bill Buikema	wjb1@tank.uchicago.edu

lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) (07/19/89)

In article <4493@tank.uchicago.edu> wjb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Bill Buikema) writes:

>Can anyone who has MacDraw II version 1.1 tell me whether the following
>bug has been fixed?  (Warning: this may generate a system error)
>
>			Open a new document and turn autogrid off.
>			Draw a simple box, any size (line width = 1).
>			Draw a second box 1 pixel inset from the 1st box.
>			Save the document as a PICT file.
>			Now try to open it again.
>
>	With MacDraw II version 1.0v4 this causes a system bomb or an out of
>memory warning followed by a system bomb.  I notified Claris about the
>bug before version 1.0v4 came out, and was wondering if it was fixed in
>the latest version.

This bug is still present, I just tested it out on my Mac II running
System 6.0.3 under MultiFinder.  It bombed out my Macintosh.  I am not
sure why this happens, but it seems rather significant.
""""""""""     /							    \
|  @  @  |     | Andrew "Fuz" Lih	Columbia University Center           |
<    >   > ___/   Academic Computing	 for Computing Activities            |
 \ \__/ / <___                                                               /
  \____/      \    lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu    AJLUS@CUVMB.BITNET         /
	       \    lih@cs.columbia.edu     ...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!lih |
                \__________________________________________________________/

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (07/25/89)

I could not duplicate your bug using 1.0v5.  I have 1.1 at home, but I
thought I'd see what happened on the system at work--no problem.  What
symptoms did you see?

/alastair/

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (07/25/89)

You have to next one rectangle exactly inside the other (so that the
two lines touch)--I tried making a 1-pixel square donut and I thought
the bug was fixed.  It fails on 1.0v5, as reported.

Sorry for the "noise."

/alastair/