[comp.sys.mac] Serial buffering techniques

jay@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Jay O'Conor) (07/26/89)

In article <1304@intercon.UUCP> amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) writes:

>For terminal emulators, anyway, you get much bigger wins by working on
>the emulator and serial port  buffering code.  I suspect that one reason
>that people like to claim that using the ROM to draw character is "too slow"
>is so that they can claim that their program's lack of performance is
>someone else's fault...

Ok, let's shift the conversation over to serial buffering techniques!
Is using the existing serial driver adequate, or do you suggest going directly
to the z8530?
If you suggest using the Mac serial driver, which is better, the ROM or RAM
serial driver.  Is this even an issue anymore?
Would you suggest leaving the driver's receive buffer at the default size or
setting it smaller or larger?
Any other information on handling serial I/O optimally would be greatly
appreciated.  Including techniques for effectively handling MultiFinder and
serial I/O (without serial I/O killing other MultiFinder tasks).

Thanks,
Jay O'Conor
Unisys/Convergent