[comp.sys.mac] GCC

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (07/26/89)

In article <117752@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) writes:

>I seem to recall that in the dim, dark hyperdrive past, GCC had a pretty
>lousy reputation.  Haven't heard anything about them in the past few years,
>though.

	The old internal HyperDrives were a real hack, and considering that,
they worked pretty well. If you call an 80% failure rate (at my old job,
at least) "pretty well". If a HyperDrive worked, you thanked the gods, and
the HyperDrive would work forever. In my experience, an internal HyperDrive,
once broken, would stay broken.

	Some time ago, GCC changed their name to "GCC Technologies" and
came out with the FX and FI series of SCSI hard drives. We have a few FX
drives at work, and they are extremely well-built, and extremely
reliable. There's lots of shock-mounting on the FX drives, and I've
seen them take a lot of abuse.

	The new drives will probably be as good as or better than the
FX series.

	Disclaimer: I know someone who works at GCC, and he knows his sh*t.
Beyond that, my only association is as a customer.

		--Rich

 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When it comes to my health, I think of my body as a temple - or at least
a moderately well-managed Presbyterian youth center." - Emo Phillips