[comp.sys.mac] Changing MultiFinder's default memory size?

lipa@polya.Stanford.EDU (William J. Lipa) (07/26/89)

Is there a relatively simple way to change the size of MultiFinder's default
memory allocation (which is used when the program does not have a SIZE
resource)? I would prefer to give such programs 1M instead of 384K.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the significance of 384K? What's so great
about this particular size?

Bill

goldman@apple.com (Phil Goldman) (07/26/89)

In article <10868@polya.Stanford.EDU> lipa@polya.Stanford.EDU (William J.
Lipa) writes:
> Is there a relatively simple way to change the size of MultiFinder's
default
> memory allocation (which is used when the program does not have a SIZE
> resource)? I would prefer to give such programs 1M instead of 384K.

Unfortunately, this is not stored as a resource anywhere.  You would
have to patch out the place in the Finder code where the constant is used.
Hopefully you can just set the size on your favorite apps using the Get Info
box.

> Out of curiosity, does anyone know the significance of 384K? What's so
> great about this particular size?

This is the size a typical application would get by itself on a Mac 512KE
(not including system heap, RAM cache, etc.).  When MF came out Apple and
third parties were still supporting this as a platform, so all apps ran on
it.

-Phil Goldman
Apple Computer