[comp.sys.mac] Summary-- Mac FTP speeds on Ethernet

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) (07/27/89)

In article <9622@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, rpbert@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Raymond Pierrehumbert) writes:
>      I am using the standard issue Apple 40meg drive.  Question is,
> if I get a fast Wren drive, will my speeds improve?

	I do not recall the exact numbers we are getting, but they are
about the same as yours and we are running on CDC WREN III, WREN IV
and WREN V.

>     So what it all boils down to, is how can the speed be improved?

If it is limited by disk tranfer speed (which I personnaly doubt), you
can try NuBus cards for SCSI DMA (MacWorld July issue).
I do not know by how much they speed things up , I would like
to hear from people having experience with those boards.

>     Is the disk speed problem something to do with the SCSI hardware?
> The Sun 3/50 I was comparing with also used a SCSI disk, so it can't
> be intrinsic to SCSI itself.

Right,  Running the same Hardware, (Mac II, CDC WREN IV, Apple Ethernet
card , and a SUN 3/160) but using A/UX 1.0, we usually get transfers
of 100 Kbytes/sec an even 150 Kbytes/sec. So I do not beleive it is
the hardware.

	I also share your sentiment about the NCSA Software, It is great,
not because it is free, but because it works well and is very
usefull (and even essential in our environement). Keep it up !

* Louis Demers              * Defence Research Establishment Valcartier      *
* office = (418) 844-4424   * Electro-Optics Division                        *
*    lab = (418) 844-4265   * P.O. Box 8800                                  *
*    bed = (418) 839-9266   * 2459 PIE XI Blvd.                              *
* louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca * Courcelette,  Quebec                           *
* demers@ncs.dnd.ca         * CANADA,  G0A 1R0                               *