[comp.sys.mac] Apple FTP site opens

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (07/13/89)

Apple Developer Technical Support is proud to offer a new service
to the Apple II and Macintosh development communities:  Anonymous
FTP to an Apple Internet host loaded with the most up-to-date DTS
tools and documentation available.

FTP is the user interface to the ARPANET standard File Transfer
Protocol, and it allows you to transfer files to and from a remote
network site.  To access and retrieve files from the Apple
archive, you should FTP to apple.apple.com (130.43.2.2) using
account:anonymous and password:guest.  Once you logon, change
directories to pub/dts/ (cd pub/dts/) and get the README file (get
README) which explains the archive content and structure.  If you
are unfamiliar with FTP or do not know if you site supports it,
use your on-line help or check with your local site administrator.

You will always find the most current Technical Notes and Sample
Code posted in the dts/ directory, as well as other documents or
materials relevant to development on an Apple platform.

Look in the help/ directory for a current list of all the archived
files (dir-yy-mm-dd) and a list of the most recent additions
(recent-yy-mm-dd).  The following is a basic outline of the
directory structure and the contents of the archive:

README              - General info about content and structure
aii                 - Apple II information
  tn                - Apple II Technical Notes
  ftn               - Apple II File Type Notes
  sc                - Apple II Sample Code
help                - Helpful info about these directories
  dir-YY-MM-DD      - Directory of all files in the dts/ directory
  recent-YY-MM-DD   - Directory of all files added within 14 days
mac                 - Macintosh information
  docs              - Macintosh Technical Documentation
  hacks             - Useful, unsupported hacks
  mpw               - Current MPW Interface files
  q+a               - Macintosh Q & A Stack
  sc                - Macintosh Sample Code
  sys.soft          - System Software information
  tn                - Macintosh Technical Notes
press               - Apple Press Releases

Tools and utilities sold by APDA (e.g., ResEdit, etc.) are not
available from this archive due to licensing restrictions.  In the
future, if we can make these sorts of tools available and still
please our attorneys, we will.

This service is long overdue, and we thank the many volunteers on
the networks who maintain other archives and make Apple's tools
and documentation available to the masses.  If you normally get
your files from these other sites, you should be able to continue
doing so, as we are working with these people to make sure that
their files are updated on a much more timely basis than in the
past.

This archive site is just a small effort in Apple's attempts to
provide our developers with the best tools and developer technical
support in the industry, and we are very interested in your
feedback.  Please send comments and suggestions to us at one of
the addresses listed below.

Thanks for your suggestions and patience in making this archive
site reality.  Special thanks to Erik Fair of Apple Engineering
Computer Operations; Lance Nakata, Bill Lipa, and Jon Pugh of
Info-Mac and SUMEX; and Werner Uhrig of the University of Texas.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

bjb@pyramid.pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) (07/14/89)

This is wonderful - Thank you for providing this service, but...

Not everyone has access to the internet. How about putting up
a UUCP archive-server for the rest of us?

Bruce Beare

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/14/89)

In article <33114@apple.Apple.COM>, mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes...

>Apple Developer Technical Support is proud to offer a new service
>to the Apple II and Macintosh development communities:  Anonymous
>FTP to an Apple Internet host loaded with the most up-to-date DTS
>tools and documentation available.

Awesome, dude!

Seriously, this looks to be a major increase in support for Mac/Apple
developers.  Thanks!

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

PFTERRY@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (07/14/89)

Mark,

This is a welcome change. I can almost believe that Apple is trying to support
developers. Particularly those who don't have a great deal of money to spend.
The prices in the recent APDALog made me wonder.

However, I would think that, at the very least, the site should also include
the software that gets posted on the larger networks. Recently the 32-bit
quickdraw software , the 6.0 LaserWriter drivers, MacsBug 6.1, and ResEdit 1.2
were uploaded to CompuServe, GEnie, and Delphi for all to download. Surely the
same general principles apply to an ftp site that do to those larger networks,
aside from the obvious difference of--ahem--payment.

Fred Terry
Kansas Geological Survey
Univ. of Kansas

**Opinions, what opinions?**

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (07/15/89)

In article <5466@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> PFTERRY@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Mark,
>
>This is a welcome change. I can almost believe that Apple is trying to support
>developers. Particularly those who don't have a great deal of money to spend.
>The prices in the recent APDALog made me wonder.
>
>However, I would think that, at the very least, the site should also include
>the software that gets posted on the larger networks. Recently the 32-bit
>quickdraw software , the 6.0 LaserWriter drivers, MacsBug 6.1, and ResEdit 1.2
>were uploaded to CompuServe, GEnie, and Delphi for all to download. Surely the
>same general principles apply to an ftp site that do to those larger networks,
>aside from the obvious difference of--ahem--payment.

We are working with the licensing problems for these things.  The MAIN
difference between an FTP site and these other methods of electronic
distribution is that we have no way of knowing WHO gets the files from this
site.  The other electronic services have records of a person assigned to an
ID, etc., and we do not (nor, in many cases, do the local site administrators).
From a legal point of view, this is a major obstacle for electronic
distribution. (We are not talking about dealers, etc. here.)

All I can say is that I will personally guarantee that anything we can legally
put out for distribution, we will.  I can also promise that we are working
VERY hard to work out an agreement which will let us post these sorts of
things without threatening our copyrights on them.  When we can work out
the details and do it properly, we will.

perry@key.COM (Perry The Cynic) (07/15/89)

In article <33114@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:

> Apple Developer Technical Support is proud to offer a new service
> to the Apple II and Macintosh development communities:  Anonymous
> FTP to an Apple Internet host loaded with the most up-to-date DTS
> tools and documentation available.

Not to belabour the obvious, but what about us poor slobs who are not
connected to the internet? Second class citicens again?

> This service is long overdue, and we thank the many volunteers on
> the networks who maintain other archives and make Apple's tools
> and documentation available to the masses.  If you normally get
> your files from these other sites, you should be able to continue
> doing so, as we are working with these people to make sure that
> their files are updated on a much more timely basis than in the
> past.

Uh? What other archives? Could you provide us with a list of those
Heavenly Souls? Specifically those who are ready to provide either
mail service, or anonymous UUCP connections. Or, alternatively, could
YOU provide an anonymous UUCP login on your wondrous machine?

Don't take me wrong. I think you're doing a great thing here. It's just
that it's a great thing only for some people, and nothing at all for
the others.

Thanks you
  -- perry
Perry The Cynic (Peter Kiehtreiber)		     perry@arkon.key.com
** What good signature isn't taken yet? **	   ...!pacbell!key!perry

jyen@cs.utexas.edu (John Yen) (07/15/89)

In article <5466@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, PFTERRY@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> quickdraw software , the 6.0 LaserWriter drivers, MacsBug 6.1, and ResEdit 1.2
> Fred Terry

  Naw.  That's not possible.  Things like release versions of ResEdit went out
of style just before dinosaurs.
  Did they?

  Also, if anyone could send a copy of MacsBug 6.1 or tell me where it is,
thanks.

John Yen (jyen@cs.utexas.edu)

In article <943@key.COM> perry@arkon.key.COM (Perry The Cynic) writes:
>In article <33114@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>>
>> Apple Developer Technical Support is proud to offer a new service
>> to the Apple II and Macintosh development communities:  Anonymous
>> FTP to an Apple Internet host loaded with the most up-to-date DTS
>> tools and documentation available.
>
>Not to belabour the obvious, but what about us poor slobs who are not
>connected to the internet? Second class citicens again?
>
>> This service is long overdue, and we thank the many volunteers on
>> the networks who maintain other archives and make Apple's tools
>> and documentation available to the masses.  If you normally get
>> your files from these other sites, you should be able to continue
>> doing so, as we are working with these people to make sure that
>> their files are updated on a much more timely basis than in the
>> past.
>
>Uh? What other archives? Could you provide us with a list of those
>Heavenly Souls? Specifically those who are ready to provide either
>mail service, or anonymous UUCP connections. Or, alternatively, could
>YOU provide an anonymous UUCP login on your wondrous machine?

No one is being treated like a second-class citizen.  If the FTP archive
is successful and serves the purpose for which it is intended, then
we will certainly have stronger arguments for providing more FREE services.

Since there are other sites providing mail-based servers, and, I believe,
UUCP connections, I am spending what time I can trying to get more software
and documentation in the archive here (which supplies these other sites).
I might also point out that due to the generosity of people like Roger Long,
many of these files are posted to comp.sys.mac.binaries.

Just trust that we are looking into a myriad of ways of providing these
development resources to people without cost, and when we can, we implement
them--it just takes a little longer than people want at times.  Considering
the recent policy changes concerning charging for developer support and the
current concern about security and press leaks at Apple, I would think
that the establishment of an FTP archive is a positive and solid first
step--one that might help restore some faith.  However, if what we are
doing still does not satisfy your needs (or satisfy them quickly enough),
then you can always spend the money to join APDA or the Apple Partners
and Associates program (where these resources are mailed to your door
every month and where you can pay for the privilege of downloading them
from AppleLink).

Enough on this topic.

I'll hope the moderators of the other archives on the net respond
with information on their sites, but to give you an idea, here is a small
list of the archives which we supply directly...

Apple II

Apple2-L from Brown University
University of Michigan FTP (35.1.1.43)
Harvard University FTP (128.103.1.56)
University of Kentucky FTP (128.163.128.6)
Proline BBS Systems

Macintosh

Stanford SUMEX archive (sumex-aim.stanford.edu)
University of Texas archives
Rice archives
Princeton PUCC archives
SIMTEL-20 archives
University of Michigan archives
Carnegie Mellon (umn-cs.cs.umn.edu)
And a few others in Europe...

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (07/16/89)

Sorry to pound this into the ground, but I would like to point out something
about the list servers.  Sure, you can send them a message and they will
send you back files.  That is fine for bitnet people.  But many of the files
on the list servers are too big to be mailed to me in one piece (100K is
the biggest that our gateway (thanks Indiana University) but some places
aren't so lucky) can handle.  It would really be nice if someone set up
a list server that would send out files in 32K chunks.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

zuhn@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (david d "zoo" zuhn) (07/16/89)

In article <33169@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>I'll hope the moderators of the other archives on the net respond
>with information on their sites, but to give you an idea, here is a small
>list of the archives which we supply directly...
>
>[apple II sites deleted]
>Macintosh
>
>[other mac sites deleted]
>Carnegie Mellon (umn-cs.cs.umn.edu)
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
>Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
>Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

Just to clarify this:  The sites is on the machine umn-cs.cs.umn.edu, which
is the departmental machine of the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Computer Science Department.  I maintain this archive.  The reason that
Carnegie Mellon got thrown in there is that I am at CMU for a summer research
project.  That line should read:

University of Minnesota - Twin Cities (umn-cs.cs.umn.edu)  [128.101.224.1]
   look in /pub/mac/macdts for everything that the Apple site has for the
   macintosh, in MacBinary (*.bin) format

David D "Zoo" Zuhn //    University of Minnesota      \\ Twin Cities
          Computer Science Systems Consultant, EE/CS 4-204
zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu,    zuhn@umn-cs.UUCP,   ..rutgers!umn-cs!zuhn

werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (07/16/89)

In <8227@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Niehaus) writes:

> Sorry to pound this into the ground, but I would like to point out something
> about the list servers.  Sure, you can send them a message and they will
> send you back files.  That is fine for bitnet people.  But many of the files
> on the list servers are too big to be mailed to me in one piece (100K is
> the biggest that our gateway (thanks Indiana University) but some places
> aren't so lucky) can handle.  It would really be nice if someone set up
> a list server that would send out files in 32K chunks.

	how about Ball State?  have you done all the local politicking
	you could to see if it is possible?

	 well ...

	and the BITnet list-servers are just that:  designed for BITnet ..

		---Werner  "I wished my neighbor would mow and water my
			   lawn while doing his.  it would really be nice."
--
--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu

mdh@srhqla.SR.COM (Matt Hardin) (07/19/89)

In article <4433@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>In article <33114@apple.Apple.COM>, mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes...
>>Apple Developer Technical Support is proud to offer a new service
>>to the Apple II and Macintosh development communities:  Anonymous
>>FTP to an Apple Internet host loaded with the most up-to-date DTS
>>tools and documentation available.
>Awesome, dude!
How about extending the capability to those of us without FTP (Internet)
access? Semi-anonymous UUCP would be "like mega awesome, Duuuude!!!"
(had to happen, didn't it? Do 'em a favor, they ask for more :-))

			Matt Hardin
			SilentRadio Headquarters, Los Angeles
			mdh@SR.COM

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (07/19/89)

In article <1107@srhqla.SR.COM> mdh@srhqla.UUCP (Matt Hardin) writes:
>In article <4433@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>>In article <33114@apple.Apple.COM>, mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes...
>How about extending the capability to those of us without FTP (Internet)
>access? Semi-anonymous UUCP would be "like mega awesome, Duuuude!!!"
>(had to happen, didn't it? Do 'em a favor, they ask for more :-))

People without FTP access have not been forgotten.  No promises, but we
are just taking it one step at a time, and FTP was the first step.

celisi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (07/23/89)

/* Written  8:33 am  Jul 13, 1989 by mjohnson@Apple.COM in silver:comp.sys.mac */
/* ---------- "Apple FTP site opens" ---------- */

[...]

/* End of text from silver:comp.sys.mac */

Drinkard@garfld.msfc.nasa.gov (Rich Drinkard) (07/28/89)

Great!!! Good to see Apple using the Net...

Rich Drinkard
Drinkard@Garfld.Msfc.Nasa.Gov