[comp.sys.mac] Making the Finder Black...

aw1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adam C. Duncan) (07/25/89)

I posted some time ago about my experience with the
ReverseScreen INIT. I have had no responses, so I thought
I'd bring it up again. I want to write a hack that will
allow me to change the windows in the Finder to Black.
That is I want to be able to have Black windows with white
type. Icons on Black etc.. I would also like to have the
chooser window to be white on Black. Note, ReverseScreen does
this but it doesn't handle text very well in many instances.
You can't read anything in many windows under the current
ReverseScreen. I was also thinking of making the windows a shade
of grey. I don't like the white windows in the Finder and other
places too.(more)
Chris Derossi was able to bring color icons into the finder.
It seems to me that the windows could be changed as well.
I'm not sure how to approach the creation of this type of
INIT so any guidlines or suggestions on how to go about
it would be great.

Thanx for any and all replies.
Keep Hacking..
* Adam C. Duncan                       aw1j@andrew.cmu.edu      *
* Carnegie Mellon University           (412)268-5366            *
* GSIA Computing Group                (412)268-2276            *
*                                                               *

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greggy) (07/26/89)

In article <gYn7QXy00WB7IMRHAh@andrew.cmu.edu> aw1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adam
C. Duncan) writes:
> ...I want to write a hack that will
> allow me to change the windows in the Finder to Black.
> That is I want to be able to have Black windows with white
> type. Icons on Black etc.. I would also like to have the
> chooser window to be white on Black. ...

Try this:
Write a patch to NewWindow or OpenPort or InitPort (I don't know which)
that sets the foreground color to white and the background to black (just
the opposite of normal).
Make it only affect windows when curAppName is 'Finder'.

Who knows, maybe this'll work... :-)

  + Greg Marriott               +                    AppleLink: Greg +
  + Just Some Guy               +                                    +
  + "My phone is always busy"   + Internet: Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com +
  + Apple Computer, Inc.                                             +
  + 20525 Mariani Ave, MS-46z, Cupertino, CA  95014                  +
  + (408)974-busy                                                    +

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (07/27/89)

I don't know about now, but I tried this once way back on a 128k
Mac ( that's RAM size, not ROM size :-) ), and it didn't work.
I didn't go so far as to patch any traps - I just changed existing
windows in TMON, and then got them to need updating.

On the other hand, maybe I screwed up.

Maybe the best way to get inverse video is to just diddle with
the signals to the monitor?  Anyone know what you would have to
do to get this to work?

					Tim Smith

davidl@intelob.intel.com (David Levine) (07/27/89)

C. Duncan) writes:
> ...I want to write a hack that will
> allow me to change the windows in the Finder to Black.
> That is I want to be able to have Black windows with white
> type. Icons on Black etc.. I would also like to have the
> chooser window to be white on Black. ...

Here's another suggestion, although I've never tried it myself...

Try the Kolor or Colorizer INIT/cdev, which lets you set the color of
various parts of your interface (on a color Mac II).  I recently saw
someone* using a hard disk that normally runs on a Mac II with an
SE/30.  On the Mac II, his title bars are dark blue with light blue
stripes; on the SE/30, they were black with white stripes.  (It looked
very odd!)  If you can convince Kolor to work on your monochrome Mac,
you might be able to set the window background color to black.  This
would affect all applications, not just the Finder.

Hope this helps.

            David D. Levine                BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNN  NNNN TM
        Senior Technical Writer            BBBB  BBBB iiii iiii NNNN NNNN
                                           BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNNNNNNN
UUCP: ...[!uunet]!tektronix!biin!davidl    BBBB  BBBB IIII IIII NNNN NNNN
MX-Internet: <davidl@intelob.intel.com>    BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNN  NNN
ARPA: <@iwarp.intel.com:davidl@intelob.intel.com>

* It was Brian Seligmann, if anyone cares...

v6dy@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (07/28/89)

The BCS CD-ROM has an application on it called Reverse Screen, Though I'm
not sure if it is the same as the INIT discussed in the first posting on this
topic.  I've used it to lessen eye strain while using my SE, and find that it
produces very readable fonts, even in small sizes.   Unfortunately, the
tendancy of lit pixels to bleed into dark ones can cause slight blurriness
in some of the "Thinner" fonts on the Mac.

       I can't say anything about using Gray Scales, as the SE on my desk at
work is a pure stock machine.

Will Middelaer
Internet:IN%"v6dy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu"
Bitnet  : v6dy@crnlvax5