[comp.sys.mac] Disinfectant

Michael.Pearce@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Pearce) (07/02/89)

John,
I thank you for Disinfectant.  I would like to make a suggestion, though:  Can
you modify the next version so that an infected copy will still work?  The
first version of Virex would, and I evolved a method of "bootstrapping"
oneself from an infected HD to a clean one thusly:
Duplicate infected copy.
Duplicate infected System/finder and store in folder on floppy, another
partiiton or, if desperate, right there on the hard disk.
Use the infected copy to clean up the duplicate copy, the Finder and the
duplicate System and Finder.
Upon quitting, the first Finder becomes re-infected.
Copy the cleaned application, system and finder to a floppy, lock the floppy
and reboot.
Finish cleaning the hard disk.

Yes, I know, one should always have a floppy prepared for infection, but if
Disinfectant would only work while contaminated, someone might be able to save
their ass.

Only a suggestion.  Feedback?

FidoNet:  1:161/445      UUCP: sun!apple!bmug!<User.Name>
INTERNET:  bmug!<User.Name>@apple.COM or <User.Name>@bmug.fidonet.org
USNAIL:   BMUG, 1442A Walnut St. #62, Berkeley, CA 94709-1496
BMUG  ARPANET ADDRESSES:
Newsletter submissions:  pub@bmug.fidonet.org
Membership or business: biz@bmug.fidonet.org
Information: info@bmug.fidonet.org
Help Line Questions:  help@bmug.fidonet.org

[...]

Only a suggestion.  Feedback?  Thanks, Michael Pearce, Portland, OR.

jln@accuvax.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (07/18/89)

Michael Pearce writes:

> I thank you for Disinfectant.

You are welcome.  Since I released Disinfectant several months ago
I've gotten tons of mail from people thanking me for the program,
and it's been very gratifying.  I'm very happy that it has helped
so many people.

> I would like to make a suggestion, though: Can you modify the
> next version so that an infected copy will still work?
>
> ... Description of a "bootstrapping" process to get from an
> infected system, including an infected copy of Disinfectant, to
> an uninfected system, including an uninfected copy of
> Disinfectant.

As you are aware, when Disinfectant is run it checks itself to see
if it has been modified.  If a change is detected, an alert is
presented informing the user that the copy of Disinfectant has
been damaged, infected by a virus, or otherwise modified.  The user
is advised to obtain a new "clean" copy, and the user is not
permitted to use the "damaged" copy.

Although your description of a "bootstrapping" method is sound, I
still hesitiate to permit users to use a modified copy of
Disinfectant.  It's simply too dangerous.  The program
may have been damaged in such a way that it can no longer function
properly, resulting in failure to properly detect and repair
infected files, system crashes, or other unexpected behaviour.
The only safe thing to do in this case is refuse to permit the
user to run the program.

I put in the check for several reasons - to detect infections by
viruses, to detect tampering by humans or other programs, and to
detect damage of other kinds (bad disk copies, etc.).  The check is
quite thorough - I compute two different kinds of checksums of the
entire resource fork of the program file (minus the part of the
header that can vary legitimately from copy to copy).

In fact, none of the current crop of Mac viruses can infect
Disinfectant 1.1, due to other protective measures I've taken in the
program.  I've verified this both analytically and by
experimentation.  Thus, if you get the "damaged" alert it probably
doesn't mean that Disinfectant has been infected, but rather that
the copy has been damaged in some other way.  In this case your
bootstrapping process probably wouldn't do any good.  Again,
especially in this case, I don't want to let the user run the
program - I know I've been modified, and I have no way to know how
dangerous the modification might be.

Another problem with permitting a modified copy of Disinfectant
to be run is that I'd have to try to document the problem.  I'm
afraid that describing the details of your bootstrapping method
to the average Mac user without causing massive confusion would
be impossible.

In general, I've tried to take a very conservative approach in
Disinfectant, based on the "better safe than sorry" principle, and
I think this is one of the program's virtues.  Checking myself
and refusing to run if I detect any kind of change is just one
example of this principle.

John Norstad      Northwestern University    jln@ancs.nwu.edu

David.Bolduc@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Bolduc) (07/21/89)

Please add my name to those who thank you for Disinfectant. Please keep it
up!
                                                        -david-

--
David Bolduc via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!David.Bolduc

minkus@lesath.usc.edu (Bob Minkus) (07/28/89)

In article <16622.24C919BD@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> David.Bolduc@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Bolduc) writes:
>Please add my name to those who thank you for Disinfectant. Please keep it
>up!
>                                                        -david-

	That's a big ditto from me to.  Do you have a site license policy,
	ie. ~10 Mac's?  Are you at the same address that's on the program,
	so I can send a more tangible thank you.

								Bob
Bob Minkus  --  USC University Computing Services
uucp: uunet!usc!minkus
bitnet: minkus@gamera
internet: minkus@usc.edu

jln@accuvax.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (07/28/89)

In article <18834@usc.edu> minkus@lesath.usc.edu (Bob Minkus) writes (about
Disinfectant):

>	Do you have a site license policy,
>       ie. ~10 Mac's?  Are you at the same address that's on the program,
>	so I can send a more tangible thank you.

Disinfectant is free, so there's no need for a site license.
Yes, I'm at the same address that's on the program.

John Norstad.    Northwestern University.     jln@acns.nwu.edu

dawyd@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (07/29/89)

Add my thanks to the list.  I work in a lab with about 30 + Pluses and
IIs, which is open to the entire undergraduate community.  Since users
frequently (and one hopes, unwittingly) remove the virus protection
from our disks (hard and floppy), our software gets infected with
alarming regularity.  Disinfectant has been a godsend in keeping the
epidemic down.

Thanks for all of your work to keep us comp.mac.users virus-free.

David Walton

All of my opinions are my own.