[comp.sys.mac] Accessing a unix system from HyperCard

hans@ditmela.oz (Hans Eriksson) (07/27/89)

I have a program on my Sun that works in the usual command-line
oriented fashion. I want to write a front-end to that in HyperCard.

How do I access the Sun from within HyperCard? Any chance of TCP
access and rlogin?

Any package around for handling the serialport on the mac from HC?

/hans
--
Hans Eriksson (hans@ditmela.oz.au)
CSIRO/DIT, 55 Barry Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia (we are GMT+10)

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (07/28/89)

hans@ditmela.oz (Hans Eriksson) writes:

>I have a program on my Sun that works in the usual command-line
>oriented fashion. I want to write a front-end to that in HyperCard.

If you do an absolutely GREAT job with HyperCard, it will run very
slowly. If you do a so-so job in HyperCard, it will run so slow as
to be virtually unuseable.

>How do I access the Sun from within HyperCard? Any chance of TCP
>access and rlogin?

>Any package around for handling the serialport on the mac from HC?

I don't know about HC TCP access, but there are a few packages out and
around for read, writing, and controlling the serial ports. From what
I've heard, Harry Chesley (I hope I got the name right!), author of the
ex-file compression standard "PackIt", put together such a package.
haven't used it myself, but I've browsed through the stack and the XFNC
are pretty clear and easy to use. I've also heard news of soon to be
released commercial package which will roll its own text window which
will be fast enough to deal with incomming text (something HyperCard
has trouble with).

Chesley's stuff is in the HyperCard DLs on CompuServe.

An alternative would be to wait for a few weeks (after MacWorld?) until
MicroPhone II v.3.0 comes out. This com program has extensive EXTENSIVE
scripting capabilities and it is FAST.

Sorry I wasn't more help with the HyperCard stuff.

--
Scott Truesdell

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (07/29/89)

hans@ditmela.oz (Hans Eriksson) writes:
>How do I access the Sun from within HyperCard? Any chance of TCP
>access and rlogin?

>Any package around for handling the serialport on the mac from HC?

Apple is working on a HyperCard XCMD interface to MacTCP.  I don't know when
it is to be released official (probably through APDA), but it should be soon.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (07/29/89)

In article <20175@paris.ics.uci.edu> truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:
>hans@ditmela.oz (Hans Eriksson) writes:
>>How do I access the Sun from within HyperCard? Any chance of TCP
>>access and rlogin?
>
>>Any package around for handling the serialport on the mac from HC?
>
>I don't know about HC TCP access, but there are a few packages out and
>around for read, writing, and controlling the serial ports. From what
>I've heard, Harry Chesley (I hope I got the name right!), author of the
>ex-file compression standard "PackIt", put together such a package.
>haven't used it myself, but I've browsed through the stack and the XFNC
>are pretty clear and easy to use. I've also heard news of soon to be
>released commercial package which will roll its own text window which
>will be fast enough to deal with incomming text (something HyperCard
>has trouble with).

There are a number of HyperCard Toolkits available through APDA that may
help out in this situation:

For using HyperCard with TCP/IP, there is a brand new product,
HyperCard MacTCP Toolkit, that gives a HyperCard stack access to
a TCP/IP network through MacTCP.  Part#M0228LL/A, Price $20.00

For using HyperCard with the serial port, there is a product,
HyperCard Serial Communications Toolkit v.2.5
Part#M7015, Price $20.00

For using HyperCard with AppleTalk, there is a product
HyperCard AppleTalk Toolkit v.2.5
Part#M7013, Price $20.00

All of these are available through APDA, (800) 282-2732.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
rickf@goofy.apple.com