[comp.sys.mac] SilverPlatter : LaCie vaporware info

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) (07/26/89)

I got a LaCie brochure in the mail recently, and it included a page on
SilverPlatter.  Apparently the marketing guys don't know it doesn't exist.

A call to Oregon confirmed that SilverPlatter was, indeed, NOT shipping,
and the rep seemed a little testy, recommending that I'd "have to talk
to our president, Joel Kammerman," about that.  I got the feeling he had
heard this particular question before.

Here, reprinted without permission, is the SilverPlatter body copy:

---

SILVERPLATTER

Serial Device Sharing

Up to 32 users can share a serial device over LocalTalk.

One for all.

SilverPlatter(TM) enables any serial device -- such as a modem, ImageWriter,
or FAX modem -- to serve everyone on a LocalTalk network.  Simply connect the
device to the modem port of your Mac, configure the device in Silverplatter,
and the device can be shared.

Simple to use.

With Silverplatter, a shared serial device appears in the Chooser no matter
where it is located on the network.  You simply select it as you would your
own device, and the program does the rest.  If you have a device you don't
want shared, it can be hidden from other users.
	Silverplatter works with but doesn't replace communications programs
like Red Ryder, MicroPhone or MACnet.  You can use any modem on the network
to dial up information services, bulletin boards, or associates.
	Silverplatter makes the LocalTalk card for ImageWriters unnecessary.
With the ImageWriter plugged into your modem port, and Silverplatter running
on all machines, any user can print from the ImageWriter over the network --
no LocalTalk card required.
	You can use Silverplatter and one FAX modem to give everyone FAX
capability.  Use a word processor like Word or MacWrite to create your FAX
(or use a scanner), then use Silverplatter and the FAX modem to send your
FAX.
	Silverplatter will add to the convenience of your network, and
subtract from its cost: with each device available to everyone, it will take
fewer of them to meet your needs.

---

Sounds nifty to me ...

LaCie's toll-free number is 800-999-0143.  The address is 16285 SW 85th
No. 306, Tigard OR  97224

Call up Joel Kammerman and complain ...

	-joseph
	-jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu
	-joseph@ece007.ncsu.edu

makmur@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Hanz) (07/26/89)

Finally, some one who knows about the Silver Platter.
About 2-3 weeks ago, I posted the news about the FREE SilverPlatter
offer from Lacie when one buy a HardDisk. This offer was printed on
so many ads in MacWeek and Mac World. Knowing the offer, i ordered the
70 M Lacie drive. I received the drive 2-3 months ago but the Silver
Platter did not come with it. Until now, I am still waiting for the
device.

I am really mad about Lacie. When i called, they put me into a loop of
phone , from one person to another person.

What a company...!!!

Lacie, if you are listening... I am still waiting for 2 SilverPlatters
that you owe me (Registered until FRANK KLATIL -my superior)
-----
Hanz Makmur
CCIS Graphics Lab
Rutgers University

--------------
*** ANYTHING I WRITE IS OF MY OWN THOUGHT ***

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (07/28/89)

From article <Jul.25.20.23.50.1989.10008@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, by makmur@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Hanz):

> Finally, some one who knows about the Silver Platter.
> About 2-3 weeks ago, I posted the news about the FREE SilverPlatter
> offer from Lacie when one buy a HardDisk.

I called LaCie about a week ago, and they said that they would be shipping
Silver Platter in about a month to a month and a half.  I asked if it would
be automatically shipped to me if I returned my registration card now.  The
lady said yes.  I figure that I will call back at the end of september if I
don't have it.

--
William C. DenBesten   is   denbeste@bgsu.edu  or   denbesten@bgsuopie.bitnet

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (07/29/89)

In article <Jul.25.20.23.50.1989.10008@elbereth.rutgers.edu> makmur@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Hanz) writes:
That he is "really mad" about not getting SilverPlatter.

Yup, their marketing folks were busy for a few months selling
something which has never existed.  That is a big, bad no-no.

Someone should probably file a class action suit for all of those who
bought a Cirrus while LaCie was "including" SilverPlatter--in fact I
think I would be a member of the class.  I bought my LaCie last
December, guess I should check out the ad I phoned from.

On the other side of the coin, I have a piece of good news about them:

A co-worker just ordered one their new 140 Meg drive.  He is willing
to pay the extra (7%) to get one right away, but they don't have them
at all right now.  What did they suggest?  That they send him a 111
Meg loaner until they do.  When the real one comes in they will ship
it out, and after he gets it, he is to return the loaner.

In other words, they are doing all they can--short of magic--to make
him happy.  To be friendly on the same day that they have probably
taken angry calls about SilverPlatter is *pretty* good.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
...!husc6!lloyd!kent