[comp.sys.mac] Re^2: Hard drive woes

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (07/18/89)

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>I thought the only limit imposed by the finder is on the number of
>icons.  Is this limit 2200?  What happens when you run out of icons?
>What happens when you run out of files?

The limitation isn't imposed by the Finder, but rather by the Resource
Manager and it isn't (exactly) on the number of icons.  It has to do with the
number of distinct resources that may exist in a single file and it is
2727 (cf Tech Note 141).  This limit affects the Finder and icons as follows.
Each application/file which has its bundle bit set gets resource entries in
the DeskTop file for its BNDL, FREF, and ICN# resources (and possibly an
entry in the APPL list).  The icons for individual files are drawn by the
Finder based upon the creator of the file based upon a lookup into the
DeskTop file.  Thus, you could have 10000 MacWrite II documents on your
hard disk without any problem (other than knowing what was where).  On the
other hand, you probably couldn't have as many as six hundred applications
with distinct creator signatures as you would most likely have run out of
space in the DeskTop file for the resources.  This is part of the reason for
the DeskTop Manager that is used on AppleShare (and may, coincidentally, be
used on local hard disks) -- it gets around the limitations of the DeskTop
file and its interaction with the Resource Manager.

--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

spraggs@ve7apu.uucp (John Spraggs - VE7ADE) (07/27/89)

In article <10401@claris.com> drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) writes:
>gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>>I thought the only limit imposed by the finder is on the number of
>>icons.  Is this limit 2200?  What happens when you run out of icons?
>>What happens when you run out of files?
>
>The limitation isn't imposed by the Finder, but rather by the Resource
>Manager and it isn't (exactly) on the number of icons.  It has to do with the
>number of distinct resources that may exist in a single file and it is
>2727 (cf Tech Note 141).  This limit affects the Finder and icons as follows.
>Each application/file which has its bundle bit set gets resource entries in
> [description]

TN 141 describes the calculation of the 2727 limit.  A 2 byte signed integer
holds this offset.  With a max value of 32768 less 38 bytes of overhead
divided by 12 reserved entries each, gives 2727.5.  The tech note says that
Inside Mac 1 describes the location of the integer as being at the end of a map,
but I don't have access to IM.

As soon as I started as our club's PD librarian, I loaded up all 30 floppies
on the new 80 Meg hard drive and hit dear old Max Headroom.  Neither CMS, the
dealer or Apple techlink could come up with an answer 2 years ago.  The
work around has been to use Hard Disk Partition.  I anxiously await 7.0.

What I would like to know is how to determine the value so I can tell how
close I might be to the edge.  I tried using resedit but didn't get anywhere.

Can anyone tell me where to look on a 1 Meg tan Plus with 6.0.3?

John

Mark.Bryant@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Bryant) (07/29/89)

> What I would like to know is how to determine the value so I can tell
> how close I might be to the edge.  I tried using resedit but didn't get
> anywhere.

There is a pd utility "Resource Counter" available at better BBSs
everywhere which will determine how close you are to the edge.  The
program opens and file, and counts the resources in the file.  Just scan
"Desktop" and you've got it.

--
Mark Bryant via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!Mark.Bryant