[comp.sys.mac] Cobra hard drive by Rodime

871323o@aucs.uucp (Oliver Oey) (07/29/89)

Has anyone owned or seen the Cobra hard drive from Rodime?  There is a
short review on page 35 of July issue of MacUser.  I ordered one from CDA
Computer Sales more than a month ago.  The one I ordered is a 45MB internal
model for the Mac SE, the average access time is 18ms, priced at US$649.
 When I placed the order, the sales representative said they have the drive
in stock and I should receive it in about 10 days after they got my remittance.
 I have already phoned them twice.  The first time the lady said they were
waiting the shipment from Rodime to arrive on July 14 and the drives will
be shipped out to the customers right away.  The second time I phoned,
a lady said the same thing, only the date has changed to July 28.  And
she also promised to phone me when they ship out my order.  And my phone
has been quiet all day (July 28).

A friend of mine bought his entire computer system from CDA.  Later on
he also purchased a CMS internal hard drive from them.  He has always been
getting fast services and he recommened CDA to me.  I'm wondering if anyone
of you have the same kind of experience as me?  I think maybe I should
cancel the order next week.

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (08/01/89)

871323o@aucs.uucp (Oliver Oey) writes:

>Has anyone owned or seen the Cobra hard drive from Rodime?

I think that these are a brand new product line for Rodime. The review
may have been based on a pre-release unit.

> I have already phoned them twice.  The first time the lady said they were
>waiting the shipment from Rodime to arrive on July 14 and the drives will
>be shipped out to the customers right away.  The second time I phoned,
>a lady said the same thing, only the date has changed to July 28.  And
>she also promised to phone me when they ship out my order.  And my phone
>has been quiet all day (July 28).

The person helping you on the phone should have mentioned my comment
above if it is indeed the case. Other than that, seems ok.

Question: after all of the known problems with Rodime recently, what
prompted you to invest your dollars as a "quality control test site"? I
didn't read the review; was it really that glowing? I would have to let
many others prove any Rodime products reliable before I would even
consider them for anything. And I learned a long time ago about trying
to save a few dollars on sub-standard merchandise -- it ALWAYS ends up
costing more.

Any thoughts on this from other netters?

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell