[comp.sys.mac] APDA status report

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (07/21/89)

Here it is, the 20th of July.  I sent in my customer agreement on June
30, and I still have not heard back from APDA.  At least they do not
bill your credit card right away.

I have heard various "yes, they are slow" messages before on the net, but
can someone answer the question "why are they so slow"?  I am wanting to
purchase some programming documentation, but I can't.  (At least I found
that the Mac Zone carries the Inside Macintosh books.  I ordered volume
4 today, and it should arrive tomorrow.)

I think that anything over 10 days to process a simple piece of paper
is unreasonable.  You would think that Apple, since they specialize in
computing, would be able to get this down to an automated process.  This
should only take about 15-20 minutes to type in the info.  But it looks
like it is taking 15-20 days (or more).

-Michael

p.s.  My words in no way could ever possibly be construed as coming from
      Apple's mouth.

p.p.s.  For those of you who are interested, Apple's Student Reps will
      no longer be employees/contractors of Apple as of August 15 (with
      some contractual exceptions).  They will be employees of Kelly
      Temporary Services, or some place like that.  I don't think that
      this is bad, though.  In fact, it may actually be helpful.

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (07/22/89)

In article <8329@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>Here it is, the 20th of July.  I sent in my customer agreement on June
>30, and I still have not heard back from APDA.  At least they do not
>bill your credit card right away.
>
>I have heard various "yes, they are slow" messages before on the net, but
>can someone answer the question "why are they so slow"?  I am wanting to
>purchase some programming documentation, but I can't.  (At least I found
>that the Mac Zone carries the Inside Macintosh books.  I ordered volume
>4 today, and it should arrive tomorrow.)
>
>I think that anything over 10 days to process a simple piece of paper
>is unreasonable.  You would think that Apple, since they specialize in
>computing, would be able to get this down to an automated process.  This
>should only take about 15-20 minutes to type in the info.  But it looks
>like it is taking 15-20 days (or more).

At APDA, we are still experiencing delays in sending out membership cards and
confirmations of membership to new members.  This is a situation that we are
working to fix as soon as possible.  However, this delay does NOT prevent new
members from placing orders.  Approximately two weeks after we receive your
fee and signed agreement, you can call our order number (800) 282-2732, and
place an order.  You should be up on our computer system by that time.  Just
explain to the customer service representative that you are a new member that
has not yet received a card.

Again, we are aware of this problem and are working to correct it as soon as
possible.

Also, you can send electronic mail APDA inquires or orders to:
APDA@applelink.apple.com.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Blake N. Sobiloff) (08/01/89)

In article <2FRE8@internal.Apple.COM> rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) writes:
>In article <8329@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>>Here it is, the 20th of July.  I sent in my customer agreement on June
>>30, and I still have not heard back from APDA.  At least they do not
>
>At APDA, we are still experiencing delays in sending out membership cards and
>confirmations of membership to new members.  This is a situation that we are
>working to fix as soon as possible.  However, this delay does NOT prevent new
>members from placing orders.  Approximately two weeks after we receive your
>fee and signed agreement, you can call our order number (800) 282-2732, and
>place an order.  You should be up on our computer system by that time.  Just
>explain to the customer service representative that you are a new member that
>has not yet received a card.

Well, this is fine and dandy--and true too!  I sent in my membership
application about a week ago and just yesterday I received a nice little post-
card saying that all three books I wanted were backordered but that they should
be restocked within a month.
Q: What happened to the massive warehouse inventory?
A: ???

I don't want to be just another APDA-basher (heh, heh, heh :-) but this is
a little frustrating... oh well...
							Blake

* Blake "Hey, where's *MY* fancy .signature?" Sobiloff *
*             sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu             *