[comp.sys.mac] .Z Files..

aw1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adam C. Duncan) (07/25/89)

I have encountered several .Z files when downloading
from different ftp sites. I'm not sure how to handle this.
The check for the headers in the file fails under BinHex and
Stuffit. If someone could tell me how to handle these .Z files
It would be greatly appreciated.
* Adam C. Duncan                       aw1j@andrew.cmu.edu      *
* Carnegie Mellon University           (412)268-5366            *
* GSIA Computing Group                (412)268-2276            *
*                                                               *

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (07/25/89)

In article <AYmqHKy00WB5MExkUV@andrew.cmu.edu> aw1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adam C. Duncan) writes:
>If someone could tell me how to handle these .Z files
>It would be greatly appreciated.

  .Z normally indicates that the file has been compressed using the unix
compress command/program.  If you have the program Maccompress you can
download the file and then uncompress it locally with the Macintosh.  If you
don't have MacCompress then you have to uncompress it on Unix and then
download it.

  Hope this helps.
--
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|/////////////////////////////////////////
David M. O'Rourke____________________|_____________dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

afoster@ogccse.ogc.edu (Allan Foster) (08/01/89)

In article <AYmqHKy00WB5MExkUV@andrew.cmu.edu> aw1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adam C. Duncan) writes:
>I have encountered several .Z files when downloading
>from different ftp sites. I'm not sure how to handle this.
>The check for the headers in the file fails under BinHex and
>Stuffit. If someone could tell me how to handle these .Z files
>It would be greatly appreciated.

.Z Files are for unix and they have been put through Compress.

This is a unix utility and is pretty straight foreward to use,
and does a LZW compression of the file.

Hope that helps

Allan Foster
afoster@cse.ogc.edu

--
Allan Foster      UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
UseNet: afoster@cse.ogc.edu      GEnie  : A.FOSTER