[comp.sys.mac] Converting TeX fonts and TFM file for use in TeXtures

grw@cartan.math.hawaii.edu (George R. Wilkens) (08/01/89)

We have a custom font on our Sun system that we can use with the TeX
program we have on the Sun. I would like to use this font with TeXtures
on a Macintosh. The font on the Sun is in a 300dpi gf format and we have
the necessary programs to convert it to pk or px format. We also have a
.tfm file for this font on the Sun system. To use this font in TeXtures,
I think that I need to do two things

1. Create a Macintosh Font (suitcase) from the gf font.
2. Create a *TFM resource for the new font.

I'm hoping that someone out there has successfully ported a TeX font
to the Macintosh for use in TeXtures and will be able to give me the
assistance I need. Please respond via e-mail. I will summerize responses
if there is enough interest. Thanks everyone.

George
----------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 George Wilkens             |
 Department of Mathematics  | INTERNET: grw@kahuna.math.hawaii.edu
 2565 The Mall              | BITNET:   grw@uhccux.bitnet

hallett@mrsvr.UUCP (Jeff Hallett) (08/01/89)

In article <4470@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, grw@cartan.math.hawaii.edu (George R. Wilkens) writes:

> I'm hoping that someone out there has successfully ported a TeX font
> to the Macintosh for use in TeXtures and will be able to give me the
> assistance I need. Please respond via e-mail. I will summerize responses
> if there is enough interest. Thanks everyone.

Along with this, I'd like to ask if people have been able to successfully alter the LaTeX or Plain formats in TeXtures to use different fonts automatically.
Basically, on a simple LaserWriter+, we get PostScript stack errors when we
use a lot of different styles (bf, it, em and math) and have to download the
corresponding CM fonts.  We tried to change the lfonts file to use the
resident PostScript fonts (Times, Helvetical, Symbol) and were only marginally
successful.

If anyone can offer help on generating new TeX fonts from Adobe typefaces and
then using ANY PostScript font instead of CM all the time, I sure would
appreciate it.

Thanks

Jeff Hallett, PET Systems Developer
GE Medical Systems, Box 414