[comp.sys.mac] Igor 1.10: graphing/data analysis for Mac

hines@CELLBIO.STANFORD.EDU ("MELISSA HINES") (08/02/89)

In our lab, we have been using Igor, a data analysis and graphing program
 for the Macintosh by WaveMetrics, for about 4 months.  We are EXTREMELY
 happy with it.  I have been beta testing the next version, 1.10, and have
 just gotten permission to describe the new features to the net.  The new
 version should be shipping within the next two weeks.

 For those of you who are unfamiliar with Igor, here is a brief summary of
 the current release, 1.0:
 * It is _VERY_ fast.  Zooming and scale changes are almost instantaneous.
 * Length of data sets is limited only by available memory.
 * You can plot and manipulate mathematical functions easily.
 * Labels can have subscripts, superscripts, bold face, underlines, etc.
 * Igor graphs at full resolution of printer.
 * It has a very powerful macro language.
 * Many different types of data analysis are supported.
       FFT and IFFT (also smoothing and Hanning)
       linear least squares fit to lines, polynomials, Gaussians, Lorentzians,
             exponentials (single and double).
       integration and differentiation
       sorting
       error analysis on fits
 * In addition, WaveMetrics has always provided exemplary product support

 Igor 1.10 has many enhancements to the original release.  These include:
 * Error bars are now fully supported.  There are now a number of options.
  For example, error bars can be either a constant percentage of the value or
 can be entered individually.
 * Legends are now much easier to use.
 * The user now has full control over fine details such as the width of axis
 lines.

 Igor 1.10 also contains a number of completely new features.
 * PAGE LAYOUT:  You can now position and size your graphs on the page by
 dragging and stretching them.  You can print multiple graphs and tables on
 one page and even import PICTs from other programs.  This is an extremely
 impressive and useful feature.
 * NON-LINEAR LEAST SQUARES FITTING TO _ANY_ FUNCTION:  You can now
 enter any function you like and have Igor fit your data to it.  You can also
 constrain parameters in the fit.
 * XOPs:  XOPs are similar to HyperCard XCMDs.  They allow you to write
 your own pieces of code to attach to Igor.  For example, you can use them
 to do heavy duty number crunching and then pass the results back to Igor.
  Alternatively, you could use them to interface a Macintosh to an
 experiment.
 * BATCH MODE:  Igor now has a special batch mode to allow you to
 analyze/plot/print the results of other programs in the background.
  Basically, you direct the output of the other program and the necessary
 commands to a special Igor batch file.  Igor will then process the data
 while you work on the other program.

 In conclusion, we have found that Igor is an extremely useful and versatile
 program for data analysis and graphing on the Macintosh.  I highly
 recommend it to anyone in science or engineering.

 Igor can be obtained directly from WaveMetrics:
           WaveMetrics@AppleLink.Apple.com     (Internet)
      WaveMetrics                                   (AppleLink)
 Last I heard, the price was $195.

                                     Melissa Hines
                                     Department of Chemistry
                                     Stanford University
                                     Hines@Cellbio.Stanford.Edu
------

jim@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Jim Providakes) (08/02/89)

In article <8908020006.AA11190@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "MELISSA HINES" <hines@cellbio.stanford.edu> writes:
>In our lab, we have been using Igor, a data analysis and graphing program
> for the Macintosh by WaveMetrics, for about 4 months.  We are EXTREMELY
> happy with it.  I have been beta testing the next version, 1.10, and have
> just gotten permission to describe the new features to the net.  The new
> version should be shipping within the next two weeks.
>
> In conclusion, we have found that Igor is an extremely useful and versatile
> program for data analysis and graphing on the Macintosh.  I highly
> recommend it to anyone in science or engineering.
>
>------
I received version 1.0 of Igor last week and it really is a great program.
I did my darnest to get it to bomb and it just would not. I would like to
comment on an aspect of Igor that Mellisa did not mention and that I found
to be extremely useful. Igor is  very effective scheme in handling user
mistakes. A dialog box appears if a user attempts an
illegal command. What I found very useful was not only did Igor tell you
what the error was, it would have an option button named
"Explain Error" that the user could press to obtain a additianal sentences
telling the user what the
error meant.  Often new users need more that
either an error number or a 3 word cryptic error message to
help them to resolve a problem.  Also, I have found that Wave Metrics
support line was excellent.

I should mention, that I have been a Kaleidagraph user for some time and
I wish the makers of Igor would incorporate more extensive historgram
plotting capabilites like those found in Kaleidagraphs i.e., Box plots,
and percentile plots, and stackable historgrams.