[comp.sys.mac] System being modified...

mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) (08/02/89)

Recently a person on campus came to me with a problem that was a little
strange...the system on several machines is being modified on a regular
basis (sometimes as often as every 5 minutes).  This strange occurance
sometimes causes the hard drive not to boot or take longer to launch
applications.  He is running Vaccine and has checked these machines
several times with Disinfectant but has found no viruses.

Any clue as to what is going on?  This is affecting system 6.0.3 and
6.0.2 machines with none to quite a few inits/cdevs (it doesnt seem to
be very picky).

Thanks for any help,

--
Mike McCann       (803) 656-3714   Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
Poole Computer Center (Box P-21)       UUCP = gatech!hubcap!mmccann

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (08/02/89)

In article <6135@hubcap.clemson.edu> mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) writes:
>Recently a person on campus came to me with a problem that was a little
>strange...the system on several machines is being modified on a regular
>basis (sometimes as often as every 5 minutes).  This strange occurance
>sometimes causes the hard drive not to boot or take longer to launch
>applications.  He is running Vaccine and has checked these machines
>several times with Disinfectant but has found no viruses.

How is the system being 'modified'?  How many machines are affected?

If it's not terribly inconvenient, you might want to wipe the HD's clean and
replace the files on them .  You might at least throw away the system folder
and replace that.

Look for the obvious:  Could the air vents on the machines be obstructed,
causing them to overheat?  Hot drives are notoriously flaky...

>Mike McCann       (803) 656-3714   Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
>Poole Computer Center (Box P-21)       UUCP = gatech!hubcap!mmccann
>Clemson University                   Bitnet = mmccann@clemson.bitnet
>Clemson, S.C. 29634-2803         DISCLAIMER = I speak only for myself.

--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |