[comp.sys.mac] 32-bit QuickDraw and Orchid 32K Cache

bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) (08/02/89)

I just installed 32-bit QD on my Mac II.  At first, it wouldn't boot.
Eventually, I discovered that disabling the Orchid Cache would make
things right.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Is Apple aware of this?
Can this be fixed?

phil@vaxphw.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (08/02/89)

In article <20933@cup.portal.com>, bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) writes...
}I just installed 32-bit QD on my Mac II.  At first, it wouldn't boot.
}Eventually, I discovered that disabling the Orchid Cache would make
}things right.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Is Apple aware of this?
}Can this be fixed?

Orchid is aware of the problem...The MacSprint II board IS NOT CURRENTLY
COMPATIBLE with 32-bit quickdraw....

BTW, Orchid DID upgrad us to be PMMU chip compatible by sending us som
PALs and requesting the old ones back....
Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-2164
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil

eynon@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Barry Eynon) (08/03/89)

writes:
>I just installed 32-bit QD on my Mac II.  At first, it wouldn't boot.
>Eventually, I discovered that disabling the Orchid Cache would make
>things right.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Is Apple aware of this?
>Can this be fixed?

I noticed the same thing when the files first were posted on C$S about a
month ago. I called Orchid tech support and made them aware of the problem;
they said they would work on it and get back to me. I haven't heard anything,
so it's probably time to call them back ....

And what better time than the present -- I just called them again and spoke
with their Tech support. They are aware of the problem, and claim that a
solution is possible with a change to their software, and that when the fix
is available they will announce it on Applelink and elsewhere, and mail the
fix free to all registered owners. Unfortunately, they have no schedule for
a fix. I am attempting to contact the project manager there responsible for
this apparent (non)schedule, and will report details as I receive them.
--
Barry Eynon
eynon@lindy.stanford.edu