[comp.sys.mac] Too many open files with AppleShare

jeff@carroll1.UUCP (Jeff Bartig) (08/02/89)

We have a Mac network with 10 to 15 Macs on it (it varies).  We are
using a SE with a 40MB and an 80MB hard drive running AppleShare
2.01.  After adding a couple Macs to the network recently, we have
run into what appears to be a limit on the number of files that can
be open on the server at once.

I contacted our local dealer, and they told us that we needed more
memory in our server.  We upgraded from 1MB to 2.5MB and found no
change in the number of files that can be open.  AppleShare took the
1.5MB we added, used it all for disk cashe, and will not let me
change the size of the cashe memory.

Is there a way to increase the number of files that can be opened on
the server?  Does anyone know what this limit is?

Jeff

| Jeff Bartig, Carroll College |   "The sooner you fall    |
| jeff@carroll1.cc.edu         | behind, the more time you |
| uunet!marque!carroll1!jeff   |     have to catch up."    |

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (08/03/89)

In article <482@carroll1.UUCP> jeff@carroll1.cc.edu (Jeff Bartig) writes:
>Is there a way to increase the number of files that can be opened on
>the server?  Does anyone know what this limit is?

     Yes, replace your AppleShare server with a Mac II with 2 Meg.
The following is copied verbatim from Apple's "Q & A Stack 3.1."

Earle R. Horton

What is the maximum number of users supported by AppleShare?  Does
this number change based on the type of CPU being used for the server?

The following chart lists some current AppleShare limits (AppleShare
1.1, 2.0, and 2.01) which are based upon the chosen server platform
and memory configuration. The limits which otherwise might be present
on a workstation are still in effect and are not affected by the
workstation being logged into an AppleShare server. These limits will
change in the future.

Server machine is Macintosh Plus, SE,  or II with one Mb:

Number of Users: 25
Number of Locked Ranges: 1000
Number of Open Files: 80
Number of Volumes: 16

Server machine is Macintosh II with more than one Mb:

Number of Users: 50
Number of Locked Ranges: 2000
Number of Open Files: 160
Number of Volumes: 16