[comp.sys.mac] Future Macs?

ksitze@nmsu.edu (360) (08/03/89)

In article: <mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU's message of 2 Aug 89
19:05:39 GMT> Michael writes:
>One thing, though, for both of you.  Anti-aliasing is going to require some
>computation.  If you watch the demo that apple has (or the one I saw, anyway)
>of the new outline fonts, it starts printing slowly, then speeds up as it
>begins to repeat characters it's already built.  The demo was "filmed" on a
>Mac II (I don't know if it was a IIx or IIcx, but I suspect that it was) and it
>was still fairly slow.  Now imagine throwing in all the computation for the
>anti-aliasing.  The first characters are going to crawl.  Displays with, say,
>24-bit depth would be particularly hard-hit, I think.  And Quick Draw won't
>be quick if it does anti-aliasing, either, since it doesn't use a build-once-
>then-reuse process...

I go the newest MacTech Quarterly in today, it said that Apple intends
to put a RISK processor to work doing all the computations for
QuickDraw that is begin done by the 680x0 right now.  So it would
appear that the slow anti-aliasing available right now will speed up
rather soon.

I can hardly wait, maybe I won't turn to a NeXT machine if Apple puts
something else beside just a processor in their Macs.  I have a real
problem with someone in a position to do so much with a machine and
then do so little.

Apple, are we going to see DMA read/writes for disk drives, blitter
chips, high speed DA/AD converters, etc. in future Macs?  'twould be
nice!  And how about putting a real 680x0 processor into the Macs
instead of these 8-16 MHz things?

(Of course this will probably double the cost of the Mac knowing
Apples price standards...)

				-Kelesi
| From the Macintosh of: Kevin L. Sitze. This is ME: ksitze@NMSU.edu |
| The difference between intelligence and stupidity is |   Is this   |
| that intelligence has a limit.          -- anonymous |   better?   |