[comp.sys.mac] Math programs, Mathematica, etc.

mcp@drutx.ATT.COM (Mike Paugh) (07/27/89)

I am in need of a mathematics program for the Mac. One of the requirements is
the ability to generate curves from equations by automatically changing the
variables. I know about _Mathematica_, but I am looking for something cheaper.
We do not want to buy an $800 program for each member of the group.

We do have a network with on machine doing nothing most of the time. We are
running TOPS as network software. What would be the performance of _Mathematica_
when mounted on a system as a TOPS volume?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Paugh                20 degrees and the hockey game's on
AT&T Bell Labs            Nobody cares, they are way too far gone
Denver                      -- Jimmy Buffett --

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (07/28/89)

In article <11834@drutx.ATT.COM> mcp@drutx.ATT.COM (Mike Paugh) writes:
>I am in need of a mathematics program for the Mac. One of the requirements is
>the ability to generate curves from equations by automatically changing the
>variables. I know about _Mathematica_, but I am looking for something cheaper.
>We do not want to buy an $800 program for each member of the group.
                          ^^^^
Prices in Summer 1989 catalogue from TechAlliance:
   MacPlus+SE version: US$ 307.60
   Mac II version:     US$ 494.00
Not bad for what you get.  You can also try Igor and Kalaedograph for
defining and plotting equations, but Mathematica gives one the most
flexibility and, dare I say it, fun?

-------------------
Simon Tortike, Department of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineering,
The University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.
simon@alberta.uucp || simon@cs.UAlberta.CA || Tel. +1 403 492-3338

milt@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Milt Sagen) (08/01/89)

>>I am in need of a mathematics program for the Mac. One of the requirements is
>>the ability to generate curves from equations by automatically changing the
>>variables. I know about _Mathematica_, but I am looking for something cheaper.
>>We do not want to buy an $800 program for each member of the group.
>>                         ^^^^
>   Prices in Summer 1989 catalogue from TechAlliance:
>          MacPlus+SE version: US$ 307.60
>          Mac II version:     US$ 494.00
>Not bad for what you get.  You can also try Igor and Kalaedograph for
>defining and plotting equations, but Mathematica gives one the most
>flexibility and, dare I say it, fun?

I called TechAlliance last month and they informed that there was a missprint
in their Summer catalogue.  Two days ago I received the Autumn 1989 issue of
MacTech Quarterly.  On page 141 the prices are listed as follows:

	  Mac Plus, SE US $433.15
	  Mac II, IIx, IIcx, SE 030  US $695.65

Your best bet is to find a university that offers an educational discount, and
have a friend that attends that particular university purchase Mathematica for
you.

Babak Mahbod

Internet: milt@mist.CS.ORST.EDU

"If no one seems to understand
 Start your own revolution, cut out the middleman"
	  - Billy Bragg

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lenny Saaf) (08/02/89)

We have been using Mathematica for the Mac for a few months now.

We call it "Crashmatica."

...nuff said?
--

* Len Saaf,  The Institute of Optics, University of Rochester,  Rochester, NY *
* Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu  Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT  Radio: NV2Z *

ags@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (08/03/89)

In article <SAAF.89Aug2104837@joker.optics.rochester.edu> saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lenny Saaf) writes:
>We have been using Mathematica for the Mac for a few months now.
>
>We call it "Crashmatica."
>
>...nuff said?

I also have been using Mathematica on the Mac for several months.  Although I
had a few crashes early on, there have been no problems since I learned a few
basics, such as paying attention to the "thermometer" memory display and not
starting up major calculations (especially 3D animated graphics) when it shows
very little free space.  Save your work and start a new session first.  It
also helps if you can use at least a 4Mb partition under Multifinder.

Crashmatica?  Oh, you mean Mathematica on the NeXT...

--
Dave Seaman
ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu

ags@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (08/03/89)

In article <SAAF.89Aug2104837@joker.optics.rochester.edu> saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lenny Saaf) writes:
>We call it "Crashmatica."

I forgot to mention one other thing.  If you are not running System 6.0.2 or
later, you need to upgrade your system to run Mathematica.

--
Dave Seaman
ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (08/03/89)

I got the Mac II version of Mathematica at Egghead Clearance (sp?)
for $318.  If you are near either of the Egghead Clearance stores,
check them out.  One if in Sunnyvale, and one is in Santa Monica.
( those are both in California ).

Their prices and selection are rather interesting.  I saw new
stuff, such as Mathematica and FoxBase, and old stuff, such as
"I Know It's Here Somewhere", when I was last there.

Their prices are time dependent.  For example, the front of my
copy of Mathematica states:

	FROM	TO	YOU SAVE]	YOU PAY
	1/20	2/02	159.00		636.00
	2/03	2/16	238.50		556.60
	2/17	3/02	318.00		477.00
	3/03	3/16	397.50		397.50
	3/17	.....	477.00		318.00

When I got Mathematica, I also noticed three copies of FoxBase.
They were $200 but were scheduled to go to $150 in three days.
When I went back in three days, one was still left, so I got
it.  It was version 1.0.  The one copy of 1.1 had been sold,
even though I had been careful to move it to the back three
days before :-).  Fox sent 1.1 for free as soon as they got
my registration card, however, so it didn't really matter.
I had to pay Fox $75 to upgrade to 2.0 because I lost my
receipt that proved I bought version 1 near enough to the
release of 2 to be eligible for a free upgrade, but still,
a total of $225 for FoxBase 2.0 is not bad.

					Tim Smith