[comp.sys.mac] Freehand to Illustrator

JAH4@PSUVMXA.BITNET (07/28/89)

Does anyone know how to effectively transfer a Freehand image in an
editable form over to Adobe Illustrator?  I have failed in the
following attempts:
                   1] Option-copy  (creates bitmap)
                   2] Place in Illustrator (box with cross and not image)
                   3] Changing file type and creator of eps file (I know..
                      ...I know, but it was worth a shot)

I have an image that took quite a bit of time in Freehand and would like to
edit in Adobe Illustrator without redrawing.  It works in reverse to option-
copy from Illustrator to Freehand, but not vice-versa.
  Appreciate any help.

                                                  Jeff (JAH4@PSUVMXA)

shani@TAURUS.BITNET (08/02/89)

In article <89209.105013JAH4@PSUVMXA>, JAH4@PSUVMXA.BITNET writes:
> following attempts:
>                    1] Option-copy  (creates bitmap)

Well, if you are willing to use a bitmap, try to create a bitmap in
macpaint format (you may use the command-shift-3), and then, open the
macpaint file as a template (when opening a new file, the Illustrator
enables to open a macpaint file as a template). You may then use the
AutoTrace tool to convert most of the bitmab to PostScript curves,
although some manual work may be needed.

O.S.

JAH4@PSUVMXA.BITNET (JEFFREY A. HAMMAN) (08/03/89)

In article <1064@taurus.BITNET>, shani@TAURUS.BITNET says:

>In article <89209.105013JAH4@PSUVMXA>, JAH4@PSUVMXA.BITNET writes:
>> following attempts:
>>                    1] Option-copy  (creates bitmap)
>
>Well, if you are willing to use a bitmap, try to create a bitmap in
>macpaint format (you may use the command-shift-3), and then, open the
>macpaint file as a template (when opening a new file, the Illustrator
>enables to open a macpaint file as a template). You may then use the
>AutoTrace tool to convert most of the bitmab to PostScript curves,
>although some manual work may be needed.
>
>O.S.

  Thanks for the response as this is the only one to date that I got.
This is something I am aware of but would not be in consideration due
to the autotrace tool creating (depending on the drawing view when used)
a "staircase" with the pixels.  I have tried a postscript "dump" with
the Option-F after sending it to the printer and trying to work with
this file to get it in a form that I can use...but struck out.  Perhaps
a call to Adobe Illustrator would be in order at this point.  It just
seems that the advertisement on EPS clip art is somewhat misleading.
Most state that you can "manipulate images with a postscript drawing
program such as Adobe Illustrator or Aldus FreeHand".  I am finding
that this is ONLY true if all of this art is supplied in Adobe EPS
format. Anybody out there willing to set users straight on
this issue?    Going once ....going twice......confirmed???

     ALL EPS clip art is supplied in Adobe EPS format if they
     advertise that you can manipulate it in a postscript drawing
     program such as Adobe Illustrator or Aldus FreeHand.

If this is not the case and there is no way to put, place, or hack at
an image supplied in Aldus FreeHand EPS into Illustrator and if
Illustrator is the only program that you own.......what was that
old cliche about being up the creek?

Purchasers of this clip art should be aware of this is my feeling.
I think that there is a commercial program available that will do
the FreeHand to Illustrator conversion, but this is at a cost of
around $150.
                                 Jeffrey A. Hamman   JAH4@PSUVM
                                 Microcomputer Systems Consultant
                                 ASG/Penn State University

******************Standard disclaimers apply.********************

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (08/04/89)

In article <89214.141326JAH4@PSUVMXA> JAH4@PSUVMXA.BITNET (JEFFREY A. HAMMAN) writes:
>  Thanks for the response as this is the only one to date that I got.
It appears my previous direct response got bounced and bounced and returned.

>this file to get it in a form that I can use...but struck out.  Perhaps
>a call to Adobe Illustrator would be in order at this point.  It just
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Actually it would be a call to Adobe, creators of PostScript, Fonts,
Illustrator (Mac & PC), Streamline, TrueForm, Collectors Edition and soon
ATM and :-) ;-) 8-)

>seems that the advertisement on EPS clip art is somewhat misleading.
>Most state that you can "manipulate images with a postscript drawing
>program such as Adobe Illustrator or Aldus FreeHand".  I am finding
[other stuff deleted]

>Purchasers of this clip art should be aware of this is my feeling.

The orignal question was in regards to how you can bring Freehand artwork
into Illustrator format. The answer is you can't. Illustrator is a lot like
MacWrite was - first kid on the block. Its file format was published and it
became the 'standard' format used for editable EPS images. What manufacturers
do with clip art and the format they supply it in is up to them. Whether
Illustrator will read FreeHand files in a later version I can't say. For now,
there is no easy way to bring it in. The only solutions available are the
screen dump -> template -- too jaggy. Or to print it and scan it in and use
Streamline on it.

Note: These are my opinions and not those of Adobe's. Any suggestions of
future products are only meant in the "smiling" sense.

----
Brian Bezanson						bezanson@adobe.com

Mr Mac says, "If you use your Mac to create some form of documents (letters,
newsletters, books, etc...) and if you're at MacWorld next week, take a look
at ATM (Adobe Type Manager), it'll make your show."

sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) (08/04/89)

In article <89214.141326JAH4@PSUVMXA> JAH4@PSUVMXA.BITNET (JEFFREY A. HAMMAN) writes:

>     ALL EPS clip art is supplied in Adobe EPS format if they
>     advertise that you can manipulate it in a postscript drawing
>     program such as Adobe Illustrator or Aldus FreeHand.
>
>If this is not the case and there is no way to put, place, or hack at
>an image supplied in Aldus FreeHand EPS into Illustrator and if
>Illustrator is the only program that you own.......what was that
>old cliche about being up the creek?

>******************Standard disclaimers apply.********************

I have had minimal success (~25% of the time) by opening the EPS file with
a text editor and changing the headers of the document to Adobe's.  If you
open any Illustrotor 88 document with a text editor, there's about 12 lines
of Postscript commenting (beginning with the % character) which must be there
in order to open the document with Illustrator.  They contain information about
which program created the file, etc...when I am in a real bind I try and copy
this information out and paste it into a Frehand document over Aldus' header.

If you are really in the mood to hack around with Postscript, Adobe puts out
a "cookbook" for Postscript which describes their format quite well...I'd bet
that the time you spend learning about the language would be less than the
time it takes to re-trace and clean up the imags in Illustrator from a template.
If you feel like buying Streamline, do it, but scan the image from a Freehand
print-out and save it as a TIFF file for best results there.  In my opinion,
Streamline is a Kludgy program anyway...worth what it costs, but still has a
long way to go...

Standard disclaimers apply....
Disclaimer: if my boss knew I was doing this, I wouldn't be doing this!

  David Martosko                         E-mail:sage@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU
  Dartmouth College HB 2216               Phone:(603) 640-4663
  Hanover, NH 03755

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert J. Hammen) (08/04/89)

In article <1046@adobe.UUCP> bezanson@adobe.UUCP (Brian Bezanson) writes:
>The orignal question was in regards to how you can bring Freehand artwork
>into Illustrator format. The answer is you can't.

Brian, haven't I told you enough times not to shoot your mouth off in public
:-)

There is a product called "StudioConvert" from a company called ISDC that will
convert both LetraStudio (a fancy type manipulation program from LetraSet)
and FreeHand files to Adobe Illustrator files. The objects in the (Freehand,
LetraStudio) files come over as objects in Illustrator, NOT just as a solid
block (like what happens when you import Illustrator documents into FreeHand.
The pertinent info is:

ISDC, Inc.
751 Penn. Ave. Suite 4
Palatine, IL 60074
(312) 705-9107

The suggested retail price is $149.95.

DISCLAIMER: I know the author, Kirk Gee, and used to work with him on another
one of ISDC's projects. I don't get any $$$ from them, though (unfortunately!).

/ Robert Hammen | Service Bureau Manager and Macintosh Consultant         /
/ Bulfin Printers | 1887 N. Water | Milwaukee WI 53202 | (414) 271-1887   /
/ hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu | uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!hammen | Delphi: HAMMEN     /
/ CI$: 70701,2104 | GEnie: R.Hammen | MacNet: HAMMEN | BIX: rhammen       /
note: csd4.milw.wisc.edu becomes csd4.csd.uwm.edu after August 13...