[comp.sys.mac] Ethernet Cards for Macs

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (John Heckendorn) (07/31/89)

Several months ago (before the D.C. MacWorld Expo) there were
rumors about that there would soon be Ethernet cards for the
MacII priced at $295 or thereabouts, and that they'd be demoed
in Washington.  Such, alas, did not come to pass.

Anyone know whether this will happen soon, and if in fact such
a product will appear at the Boston show?

Or does this price point depend upon the release of a chip set
which hasn't been finished yet?

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) (08/01/89)

In article <26811@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (John Heckendorn) writes:
> Several months ago (before the D.C. MacWorld Expo) there were
> rumors about that there would soon be Ethernet cards for the
> MacII priced at $295 or thereabouts, and that they'd be demoed
> in Washington.  Such, alas, did not come to pass.
>
> Anyone know whether this will happen soon, and if in fact such
> a product will appear at the Boston show?
>
> Or does this price point depend upon the release of a chip set
> which hasn't been finished yet?
>
> John Heckendorn
>                                                              /\
> BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
> 1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
> Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

Just a quick question for you folks out there.  Would people really be interested
in a card that cost $295 direct with little tech support, other than if it's
broke send it back and get it replaced?

Anyone know just what the lowest price you can find for a Mac Ethernet card
is these days?  What do you University folk pay for cards in quantity?

Thanks ahead of time for your answers.  Email them if you don't want to just
post it.
--
Kurt Baumann

InterCon Systems Corporation
46950 Community Plaza
Suite 101-132
Sterling, VA 22170                    Phone: 703.450.7117

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (08/01/89)

kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) writes:

>> ...rumors about that there would soon be Ethernet cards for the
>> MacII priced at $295 or thereabouts...

> Would people really be interested
> in a card that cost $295 direct with little tech support, other than if it's
> broke send it back and get it replaced?

Yes, if it works trouble free and fast.

>Anyone know just what the lowest price you can find for a Mac Ethernet card
>is these days?  What do you University folk pay for cards in quantity?

The University of California has a system-wide deal with Kinetics for
$395, I think. The SE/30 card was a little higher. I don't know about
other manufacturers. We like Kinetics because, well, support isn't
necessary; the cards seem fast enough and they always work.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (08/02/89)

In article <1321@intercon.UUCP> Kurt Baumann <kdb@intercon.uu.net> writes:
>Anyone know just what the lowest price you can find for a Mac Ethernet card
>is these days?  What do you University folk pay for cards in quantity?

According to the July MacWorld, list prices are $699 (Apple), $695 (Kinetics),
$595 (3Com), and $549 (Everex, Dove, and Interlan).  Emory University's
Computer Sales has the Apple board for $470 and the Everex board for $346.
MacConnection has the Dove board for $450.

Now, two questions:

1)  Any reason to prefer one of these boards over the other?  I'm primarily
    interested in performance issues, but the recent bad Everex support
    experiences are also relevant.

2)  Does the Apple board come with MacTCP?  This would make the Apple board
    much more competitive, as the latter would not then have to be purchased
    from APDA.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (08/05/89)

One of the mail order places that advertises in MacWorld and MacUser
was selling Dove FastNet III cards for $395.  I think FastNet SE was
also $395, but don't remember.

						Tim Smith