[comp.sys.mac] Shipping Macs

MIKEA@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Michael Antolovich) (07/30/89)

    There has bee some talk about taking Macs on planes.  I'm planning
to go home soon (Australia) with my new Mac SE 30 (~4 months old).  At
least now I know that I should ship it, but who should I trust with the
job ?  Does anyone have any experience with customs problems ?  How
much should I expect to have to pay ?
                       Thanks in advance,
                       Michael.

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (07/30/89)

In article <9121@pucc.Princeton.EDU> MIKEA@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:

>to go home soon (Australia) with my new Mac SE 30 (~4 months old).  At
>least now I know that I should ship it, but who should I trust with the
>job ?  Does anyone have any experience with customs problems ?  How

For heaven's sake, don't use UPS!!!  I've shipped computers with them before,
and I'd swear that they make a concerted effort to destroy computers.  They
have damaged my Imagewriter II, which is a pretty rugged item, and they also
did dome damage to an Apple //e I used to own.  Nothing serious enough to
warrant a damage claim against them, but enough to really warrant concern.

Also, I watched one of their drivers THROW boxed computer equipment out of the
back of one of their trucks onto the pavement.

Go with someone else, definitely.  You might also consider one of these fancy
reinforced and padded shipping cases.  I'll probably buy one before I take the
Mac anywhere next time.  With one of them, you may just be able to check it
on the plane.  I think the airlines are actually more careful than UPS.

--Mike

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are _definitely_ not those of my
employer or my school.  They're mine.

mym@tybalt.caltech.edu (Mike Meckler) (07/30/89)

In article <387@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
mjkobb@athena.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>For heaven's sake, don't use UPS!!!  I've shipped computers with them before,
>and I'd swear that they make a concerted effort to destroy computers....
>Also, I watched one of their drivers THROW boxed computer equipment out of the
>back of one of their trucks onto the pavement.

For the record, I've had very good experiences shipping my Mac II through
UPS.  I've done it twice, cross-country, and both times I've retrieved
my computer in perfect working order. I took two precautions:

1) I've kept all the original packaging, and shipped the computer in it.
This seemed to please the UPS people.

2) I insured it for its full value. This ended up costing about $25 more,
but the UPS person told me whenever an item is insured for more than a
certain amount ($1000 or so) it receives special treatment. Exactly what
this treatment is, I forget, but I've had no problems shipping my Mac
via UPS.

"Some people say my philosophy is kindergarten       meckler@csvax.caltech.edu
nihilism, but I say they don't truly exist."      ...!ames!elroy!csvax!meckler

bnfb@Apple.COM (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) (08/01/89)

>For heaven's sake, don't use UPS!!!

Now, now, that's a severe opinion.  I don't work for UPS but I've
shipped my Mac II with them twice and had no problems on either end
or in the middle.  Nope, it was fast, safe, and without damage.  Of
course I did use original cartons, but I didn't even bother to
remove the boards from their slots.  I received it, plugged it in,
and viola, it worked.

I, based on my experiences, recomend UPS.

Bjorn N. Freeman-Benson

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/01/89)

In article <11416@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> mym@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Mike Meckler) writes:
>In article <387@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
>mjkobb@athena.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>>For heaven's sake, don't use UPS!!!  I've shipped computers with them before,
>
>For the record, I've had very good experiences shipping my Mac II through
>UPS.  I've done it twice, cross-country, and both times I've retrieved
>my computer in perfect working order. I took two precautions:
>
>1) I've kept all the original packaging, and shipped the computer in it.
>
>2) I insured it for its full value. This ended up costing about $25 more,
>but the UPS person told me whenever an item is insured for more than a
>certain amount ($1000 or so) it receives special treatment. Exactly what

I'd say that you've been pretty lucky, or I've been really unlucky.  A Mac II
is more fragile than a Plus, what with the NuBus cards and all.

Anyway, to address your points:
Re: 1	I did that too.  I used the original packaging until they destroyed it
for me.

Re: 2	I've always insured it for full value, and the value has always been
over 1000 for the computers.  Unfortunately, the ImageWriter II isn't worth
$1000.  (In my opinion, it isn't worth _$10_, but I paid $500).

--Mike

bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com (Brian Klaas~) (08/01/89)

In article <33598@apple.Apple.COM> bnfb@Apple.COM (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) writes:

   >For heaven's sake, don't use UPS!!!

   Now, now, that's a severe opinion.  I don't work for UPS but I've
   shipped my Mac II with them twice and had no problems on either end
   or in the middle.  Nope, it was fast, safe, and without damage.  Of
   course I did use original cartons, but I didn't even bother to
   remove the boards from their slots.  I received it, plugged it in,
   and viola, it worked.

I agree.  I used to work for UPS, and from what I saw, they treated
packages pretty well.  I even saw several macintoshes go through where
I worked.

However, I would suggest packing it in the origional container or
something designed specificly for shipping computers.

** Brian Klaas, Design Engineer     ***  DISCLAIMER:  All opinions           **
** Intel Corporation                ***     stated here are strictly my own. **
** InterNET ->  bklaas%sedona.intel.com@relay.cs.NET                  UUCP:  **
** {hplabs,decwrl,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel,amdcad}!intelca!mipos3!sedona!bklaas  **

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (08/01/89)

I shipped my MacII cross-country by Fed-Ex, in the original boxes and
had no problem.  They let me insure it for whatever I wanted to, and it
was pretty cheap (on the order of $1/lb, minus some discount for
"second class" -- i.e., 4 hours later ... :-), it got there overnight,
and it was fine.  The packaging was even in the same shape as when i
dropped it off.

/jordan

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/05/89)

In article <127@cmdfs2.intel.com> bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com (Brian Klaas~) writes:
>In article <33598@apple.Apple.COM> bnfb@Apple.COM (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) writes:
>
>   >For heaven's sake, don't use UPS!!!
>
>   Now, now, that's a severe opinion.  I don't work for UPS but I've

>I agree.  I used to work for UPS, and from what I saw, they treated
>packages pretty well.  I even saw several macintoshes go through where
>I worked.
>
>However, I would suggest packing it in the origional container or
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't mean to make this thing sound like a vendetta, but I have to reply
to this one.  I did pack my equipment in their original containers until UPS
was nice enough to destroy the packaging for me.  I am fortunate that my Mac
is more-or-less stationary now, so I don't have to ship it any more.  If I did,
I'd have to buy some sort of shipping container...

--Mike

Standard disclaimers..

cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) (08/06/89)

In article <433@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, mjkobb@mit-amt (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>I don't mean to make this thing sound like a vendetta, but I have to reply
>to this one.  I did pack my equipment in their original containers until UPS
>was nice enough to destroy the packaging for me.  I am fortunate that my Mac
>is more-or-less stationary now, so I don't have to ship it any more.  If I did,
>I'd have to buy some sort of shipping container...

When I shipped a Mac cross-country, UPS specifically advised me *not* to
send it only in the original packaging.  I got paranoid, and put the Mac
(in it's box) inside a bigger cardboard box and filled the gap with
crumpled newspaper.  It arrived in perfect condition.

Sam