[comp.sys.mac] Need SIMM dealer info

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (08/06/89)

I'm looking for 4 1 MB SIMMs for a Mac II (I want to take it to 5 MB total) and
I'd like recommendations on chip dealers.  Have you had any experiences, either
good or bad, with mail-order chip dealers?  Whom would you recommend?  I've
seen ads in MacWeek for "The Chip Merchant" and "Technology Works", among
others.  Are these any good?

I'm looking for (in order of importance):

	1) Reliability of chips: are the chips of good quality?  are they
	   likely to be reliable?

	2) Reliability of dealer: does the dealer give good service? or have
	   they ripped anyone off?  what's their warranty?

	3) Price: I've seen 4 1 MB's for as low as $440.

What other criteria should I bear in mind?  Any info/anecdotes much
appreciated!  (BTW, is it hard to install SIMMs onself?).

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

garths%glass@Sun.COM (Garth Snyder) (08/06/89)

> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>
> I'm looking for 4 1 MB SIMMs for a Mac II and I'd like recommendations
> on chip dealers.  Have you had any experiences, either good or bad,
> with mail-order chip dealers?  Whom would you recommend?  I've seen
> ads in MacWeek for "The Chip Merchant" and "Technology Works", among
> others.  Are these any good?

I just ordered 2 SIMMS from Technology Works a few weeks ago.  I
wouldn't ordinarily repeat information that's been posted here
recently, but dealing with Technology Works was such a joy that I feel
compelled to spread the word.

Their hardware is top-notch (80ns, surface-mount, low-profile), and
the SIMMs come with installation instructions, a case opener tool, and
a lifetime warranty.  Their prices are competetive, although not quite
as good as the Chip Merchant's (the Chip Merchant does not take credit
cards and doesn't have a lifetime warranty, though).  TW will also buy
back your 256K simms, if they are 120ns or faster.

I called a lot of suppliers to ask about prices and terms before
ordering from TW.  I lost count of how many indifferent, uninformed,
and downright nasty people I talked to.  TW really shined here as
well.  It was wonderful to talk to the Technology Works rep and be
treated like a valued customer rather than a nuisance.

Installing the SIMMs in my SE was a little bit tricky (or maybe I was
just overcautious), but the supplied instructions and opener tool were
all that was needed.  The operation came off without a hitch.

The Technology Works is a first-class act.  I reccomend them with no
reservations.  I certainly know where my next set of SIMMs is coming
from!

--------------------
Garth Snyder
Sun Microsystems, mail drop 14-40       ARPA: garths@sun.com
2550 Garcia Avenue                      ALSO: garth@boulder.colorado.edu
Mountain View, CA  94043
--------------------

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (08/07/89)

In article <4859@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

   [ Request for SIMM merchant recommendations ]

Well, I haven't bought any SIMMS from these people yet (I'm saving my
pennies), but I would recommend giving them a call, based on the
conversations I have had with them.

Company:  Allegiance Group, Inc.
	  17100 Gillette Ave.
	  Irvine, CA 92714
	  (800) 726-7466   FAX: (714) 757-1106

Sales Rep:  Michael Halloran

Details:  Current price schedule is as low as the Chip Merchant's --
	  $109 for a 1Meg x 8, 100nS Surface-Mount SIMM.
	  $121 for a x 9.

They also have 80nS 8-bit SIMM's, and 60, 70 & 80nS 9-bit SIMM's, as
well as 1Meg and 2Meg modules for PS/2's (how did *that* get into this
newsgroup...blechh)

The sales rep was very pleasant; had a good phone-side manner.  They
do not take credit cards, but they take personal checks.  (They also
take PO's from dealers or universities).

Anyway, give them a call...

DISCLAIMER:  No affiliation.  Just pleased with first impression.

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:     {uunet,rutgers,ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!prince
		    Internet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU