[comp.sys.mac] Telecommunication software

Cindy.Long@isishq.FIDONET.ORG (Cindy Long) (08/04/89)

Can anyone help me find out where I can get telecommunication software
for Macs? I'm looking specifically for shareware/PD, but am interested in
knowing what's out there in commercial products as well. Is there a
version of "procomm" for the Mac (or something similar)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cindy.
..

--
 Cindy Long - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!Cindy.Long

afoster@ogccse.ogc.edu (Allan Foster) (08/06/89)

In article <2681.24DA671E@isishq.FIDONET.ORG> Cindy.Long@isishq.FIDONET.ORG (Cindy Long) writes:
>Can anyone help me find out where I can get telecommunication software
>for Macs? I'm looking specifically for shareware/PD, but am interested in
>knowing what's out there in commercial products as well. Is there a
>version of "procomm" for the Mac (or something similar)?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Cindy.

Well Cindy,
there are several choices available for the Mac.

On the shareware freeware side there is freeterm and several others.  ZTerm is
the latest in the shareware terminal programs and works pretty well.

If you have a host that supports ZModem file transfer protocol then this works real well.
On the commercial front there are several others.

Red Ryder has been around several years and is now in version 11.X

Smartcomm II from Hayes is also good.

MicroPhone II from Software Ventures is also a commercial application.

All the commercial programs offer some form of scripting ranging from
adequate to a full programming language.

It is your choice as to which would serve your needs.

There are also several Special purpose emulators for less standard terminals

Allan Foster
MicroPhone II Development Team.
afoster@cse.ogc.edu

--
Allan Foster      UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
UseNet: afoster@cse.ogc.edu      GEnie  : A.FOSTER

cuello@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (08/07/89)

If you are interested in file transfer between your mac and unix or cms mainfra-
mes, you might consider copying Kermit for the macintosh. It gives VT-100 emula-
tion, the kermit file-transfer protocol... and best of all, it is a public-do-
main application. It is available by anonymous ftp at sumex-aim.stanford.edu,
under the directory /info-mac/comm.

             Federico A. CUELLO                | "Some
         <cuello@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>             |  want to change the world.
         <cuello@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>             |  Others
  Research Assistant/Microcomputer Consultant  |  want to read it.
  Department of Geography/CSO Microconsulting  |  We
  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign   |  just want to talk with it".
  237-I Davenport Hall, Urbana, Il. 61801      |                  Octavio Paz