[comp.sys.mac] Roo File - What the Heck is it?

) (08/08/89)

Hi,

Just looked thru my system folder....See a folder named Roo File with a type
of	'RooF' and a Creator of 'wpsS'..

Does anyone know what it is?

Phil Hunt

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/08/89)

phil@vaxphw.dec.com  writes:

> Just looked thru my system folder....See a folder named Roo File with a type
> of	'RooF' and a Creator of 'wpsS'..
>
> Does anyone know what it is?

It's the file that "Switch-a-roo" uses to save your settings. I suppose it
(the saving) should have been done in resources, but it's fine the way it is,
except if (as I do) you wish to have an FKEY for 2/256 color and a separate
one for 16/256 color modes. I had to modify the CODE of a copy of ROO to get
this to work. While unethical, it needed to be done (and was for personal use
only). I'll tell you guys how to do it: change the "roo file" in the CODE
resources to "roo fil2" (make sure to observe the same size!!!) and all will
work like a charm.

I'm sure there will be a million responses to your question, Phil. I wish
others would see that there has already been a reply posted before going and
posting a duplicate. If one has been posted before this one, it was only
because I have been hammering this out in emacs for a while.

Glad to be of service.

Adam

|| Adam Glass, NeXT hacker for the slave-drivers at the MIT Media Laboratory ||
||                     <insert standard disclaimer here>                     ||
||  %%              "But Wesley, what about the R.O.U.S.es?"             %%  ||
||  %%       "Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist..."      %%  ||
||       EMail to: adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu OR adamg@athena.mit.edu      ||

bernard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bernie Bernstein) (08/08/89)

In article <8908071843.AA14662@decwrl.dec.com> phil@vaxphw.dec.com (At 'MAC'simum efficiency!) writes:
>Just looked thru my system folder....See a folder named Roo File with a type
>of	'RooF' and a Creator of 'wpsS'..
>
>Does anyone know what it is?

That is where Switch-A-Roo saves its settings.

      o,  ,,   ,      | Bernie Bernstein                      | ,    ,,
      L>O/  \,/ \    ,| University of Colorado at boulder     |/ \,,/  \
     O./  '  / . `, / | office: (303) 492-1218                |     / ` \  ,.
    ,/   /  ,      '  | email: bernard@boulder.colorado.edu   | /        ''  \

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (08/08/89)

In article <8908071843.AA14662@decwrl.dec.com> phil@vaxphw.dec.com (At 'MAC'simum efficiency!) writes:
:Just looked thru my system folder....See a folder named Roo File with a type
:of	'RooF' and a Creator of 'wpsS'..
:Does anyone know what it is?

It is a preferences file for the "Switch-a-Roo" FKEY.  It stores which two
video modes to switch between.  You can change the preferences by holding the
control key while invoking Switch-a-Roo.

-Ivan

Internet: captkidd@athena.mit.edu