[comp.sys.mac] Problem with Fastback II

hodges@maui.cs.ucla.edu (08/05/89)

I talked with Fifth Dimension the other day and they told me
that the main reason for Fastback II was to work with the
multifinder.  Great, said I, and went off to back up my
Rodime 140 (nearly reformmatted by Rodime despite a need only
for a new power supply).  Well, if Fastback II works under
multifinder I'll be damned.  Both times I tried my system hung
on me.

I was backing up to floppies and not tape.  They never said that
it had to be onto a SCSI unit.  Does anyone out there have advice
or similar experiences?  THIS is a drag.

And of course the earlier reported problems are also a drag.

Jack Hodges, UCLA

mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) (08/05/89)

I have a copy of FastbackII and was having a problem when backing up my
hard drives to tape under MultiFinder.  Fifth Generation says to give
FastbackII 1.5Mb of memory under MultiFinder for it to work properly.
As for how it performs under MultiFinder, FastbackII doesnt crash on me
but when the tape is writing or reading my system freezes until the tape
finishes (the tape drive is the Apple Tape Backup).  I enjoy FastbackII
but.....

--
Mike McCann       (803) 656-3714   Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
Poole Computer Center (Box P-21)       UUCP = gatech!hubcap!mmccann

cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) (08/06/89)

In article <6171@hubcap.clemson.edu>, mmccann@hubcap (Mike McCann) writes:
>As for how it performs under MultiFinder, FastbackII doesnt crash on me
>but when the tape is writing or reading my system freezes until the tape
>finishes (the tape drive is the Apple Tape Backup).  I enjoy FastbackII
>but.....

Just a guess, but this may be due to the fact that the tape drive does not
disconnect from the SCSI bus until the (lengthy) tape operation is
complete, denying the Mac access to the bus (which it would need to read
the disk).

Sam

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (08/08/89)

cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) writes:

>Just a guess, but this may be due to the fact that the tape drive
>does not disconnect from the SCSI bus until the (lengthy) tape
>operation is complete, denying the Mac access to the bus (which it
>would need to read the disk).

The problem is on the Mac side. Hopefully, with a forthcoming System
release, Apple will finally release the async SCSI Manager.

Stephan Somogyi                 MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com
NetWorkShop Coordinator                    or
MacUser          ...{apple|uunet|sun}!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs

Stay alert, trust no-one, keep your laser handy.

Any opinions expressed above are mine.