[comp.sys.mac] DOS emulators

buyskes@lafcol.UUCP (Steven Buyske) (07/25/89)

	Anyone have helpful advice on choosing and using a DOS
emulator (in a Mac II something)?  I'm afraid ignoring DOS entirely,
while it would be my preference, isn't a possibility.

Steve Buyske                    uucp    : rutgers!lehi3b15!lafcol!buyskes
Mathematics Department          Bitnet  : BUYSKES@LAFAYETT
Lafayette College
Easton, PA  18042

afoster@ogccse.ogc.edu (Allan Foster) (08/01/89)

In article <1369@lafcol.UUCP> buyskes@lafcol.UUCP (Steven Buyske) writes:

>	Anyone have helpful advice on choosing and using a DOS
>emulator (in a Mac II something)?  I'm afraid ignoring DOS entirely,
>while it would be my preference, isn't a possibility.

Have you tried SoftPC?  This is a totally software emulation of a XT
that runs about as fast as an XT.

It is VERY compatible, I have run windows under it as well
as MS Flight Sim 3!

Basically gives you a CGA XT.

Its speed does make it a little Clunky, but hey what do you expect.

It is also pretty resonable price wise (few hundred dollars)

Hope this helps
Allan Foster
afoster@cse.ogc.edu

--
Allan Foster      UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
UseNet: afoster@cse.ogc.edu      GEnie  : A.FOSTER

god3@tank.uchicago.edu (Peter Godwin) (08/08/89)

From article <1369@lafcol.UUCP>, by buyskes@lafcol.UUCP (Steven Buyske):

> 	Anyone have helpful advice on choosing and using a DOS
> emulator (in a Mac II something)?  I'm afraid ignoring DOS entirely,
> while it would be my preference, isn't a possibility.

I just purchased SoftPC version 1.3 ($249.00 Mac Connection) for my Mac IIcx.
It requires at least a 68020 processor and runs at about the speed of
the basic IBM PC and emulates a PC-XT

I am very pleased with this purchase as it was relatively inexpensive and
works as advertised.  The alternative was the Orange Micro AT Board ($1400+).

It works with parallel printers (need proper cable -- I use a Grappler C/Mac/GS
setting all switches on), my hayes compatible 2400 baud modem, Multifinder,
all popular software including WordPerfect 5.0, Lotus 1-2-3, MS-Word 4.0,
all DOS-utilities and programs that DON'T __REQUIRE__ a math co-processor,
and any self-written code.  Don't expect the speed of a 8 or 10MHz machine
though.  But with my color monitor it has excellent color (CGA) graphics.  If
you don't have a color monitor, it works fine, too.

As this is a new piece of software for me, I am of course excited.  But I
still can;t believe it works as well as it does!!

If anyone has ANY questions about the operation of SoftPC I would be
more than happy to help out.  tech support for the software (Insignia Solutions
Inc., Sunnyvbale California) is excellent (the technician I spoke with once
was also amazed that such software existed when he first joined the company.)

Again, all inquiries welcome.

Peter Godwin
god3@tank.uchicago.edu

--
      Peter Godwin         |   UUCP   ...ihnp4!gargoyle!tank!god3
  5335 S. Kimbark Ave., #2 | Bitnet   god3@tank.uchicago.edu

t-robje@microsoft.UUCP (Rob Jellinghaus) (08/09/89)

In article <4894@tank.uchicago.edu> god3@tank.uchicago.edu (Peter Godwin) writes:
>I just purchased SoftPC version 1.3 ($249.00 Mac Connection) for my Mac IIcx.
>It requires at least a 68020 processor and runs at about the speed of
>the basic IBM PC and emulates a PC-XT
>It works with parallel printers (need proper cable -- I use a Grappler C/Mac/GS
>setting all switches on), my hayes compatible 2400 baud modem, Multifinder,
>all popular software including WordPerfect 5.0, Lotus 1-2-3, MS-Word 4.0,
>all DOS-utilities and programs that DON'T __REQUIRE__ a math co-processor,
>and any self-written code.  Don't expect the speed of a 8 or 10MHz machine
>though.  But with my color monitor it has excellent color (CGA) graphics.  If
>you don't have a color monitor, it works fine, too.

What does CGA mean?  Just pink and blue?  I'm not too familiar with IBM
graphics terminology... (CGA is lowest resolution/number of colors, then
comes EGA, then VGA, right?)

OK, here're the big questions:  does it work with copy-protected games?   Do
you need a superdrive to use it without adding an external drive of some
sort?

>Peter Godwin
>god3@tank.uchicago.edu

Thanks for the info!