[comp.sys.mac] C++

rome@cogen.UUCP (Sean Rome) (12/12/87)

Any news on the long-awaited arrival of an MPW C++ ?

.

mtc@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Mitchell T. Christensen) (12/08/88)

What is the current status of C++ on the Mac?  Does it exist yet?  I'm
also interest in a [Objective]C[++] equivelant of MacApp.

				Thanks in advance.

--
/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-
Mitch Christensen - {ihnp4,dual,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!mtc

prf@cit5.cit.oz (Paul Freeman) (06/16/89)

I am interested in learning a new language, preferably C.  I have heard that
C++ is pretty good but I know nothing about it.  Could someone give me some
details on C++,  ie. is it object oriented C, what it is like to use as a
language?
I am particularly interested to know if it is available for the Macintosh.
If so, is it available in Australia?

Thanks in advance
Paul Freeman
Chisholm Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 197
Caulfield East 3145
Email: prf@cit5.cit.oz

ksand@appleoz.oz.au (Kent Sandvik) (06/19/89)

In article <3108@cit5.cit.oz> prf@cit5.cit.oz (Paul Freeman) writes:

>I am interested in learning a new language, preferably C.  I have heard that
>C++ is pretty good but I know nothing about it.  Could someone give me some
>details on C++,  ie. is it object oriented C, what it is like to use as a
>language?
>I am particularly interested to know if it is available for the Macintosh.
>If so, is it available in Australia?

For the moment the C++ products for Mac is available only for the A/UX
platform. I.e. either the Cfront from AT&T that you need to port yourself,
or C++ from Oasys that is ported for A/UX.

I suggest that people wait a couple of months, AT&T will release RSN (in
a week or so) C++ level 2.0 with goodies such as multiple inheritance
and even stronger type checking.

It is no secret that Apple is working on a C++ for the MPW environment,
and this will be based on 2.0 C++. We can't really speak about unreleased
products, but if you are more interested in the future of C++ within Apple,
me and Andrew Shebanow from Apple DTS Cupertino will speak about the
product and C++ in general at the Developer Conference in Adelaide
next month.

Last personal words, I myself am a C++ addict, I want to have a computer
job in the 90:ies!

Reg,
Kent
--
Kent Sandvik - Apple Australia | NET: ksand@appleoz.oz.AU
TODAY:Do it! Hack! DISCL: foo? |{uunet,mcvax,enea}!munnari!appleoz.oz!ksand

christ@tybalt.caltech.edu (Christian L. Keppenne) (08/06/89)

Hello everybody,

I personally have a NeXT but am posting this one for a friend who
is about to get a IIcx and would like to know whether there is any
good C++ compiler available and at what price. I remember from my
experience of the Mac II I had earlier that lightspeed C was really
nice with its interactive debugger, and affordable. Is there anything
like that for C++ ?

I am not a very regular reader of this newsgroup. Therefore, I would
appreciate it if someone could also send me mail to notify me if he
answers my question on the network.

Thank you in advance.

Christian Keppenne (818) 577 5282 christ@tybalt.caltech.edu

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (08/09/89)

In article <11480@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, christ@tybalt.caltech.edu (Christian L. Keppenne) writes:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I personally have a NeXT but am posting this one for a friend who
> is about to get a IIcx and would like to know whether there is any
> good C++ compiler available and at what price. I remember from my
> experience of the Mac II I had earlier that lightspeed C was really
> nice with its interactive debugger, and affordable. Is there anything
> like that for C++ ?

	I just received a notice from Symantec about the new release
of LightSpeed C 4.0. An excerpt from the flyer reads:

	"The object extensions in THINK C support classes, methods,
	 inheritance, and polymorphism. The source-level debugger
	 transparently supports objects as well. And the THINK C Class
	 Library gives you the building blocks to implement the standard
	 Macintosh user interface, allowing you to focus on your application.
	 The object extensions in THINK C are similar to Object Pascal
	 as defined by Apple Computer. The syntax is based on C++, and is
	 upwardly compatible with C++. "

	I hope this helps.

	Peter Espen
	espen@well