[comp.sys.mac] Looking for a nice program text editor

parnes@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gary Parnes) (07/28/89)

A fellow worker of mine has recently bought a Mac SE 30.  He has worked with
IBM AT's and the like for all of his life.  He has been "spoiled" by the
"programmer friendliness" of the IBM.  He told me that he was really dis-
appointed by the lack of nice program text editors for the Mac.

More specifically, he is looking for a text editor that can do macros,
and an editor which features the ability to program macros of any sort
(not necessarily mouse macros) using a macro-language.

In short, he is looking for a good imitation of Brief, for those of you
Mac users who also do IBM programming.  Does anyone know anything about
this?

						Gary

/=============================================================================\
| "You're obviously misinformed... everything  |  Gary Parnes		      |
|  EAST of the San Andreas Fault is going to   |  Computer Science Engineer   |
|  fall into the ATLANTIC Ocean."              |  University of Pennsylvania  |
|   *** parnes@eniac.seas.upenn.edu ***        |  *NOT* Penn State, Dammit!   |
\=============================================================================/

jpainter@tjp.East.Sun.COM (John Painter - Sun BOS Hardware) (07/28/89)

QUED (I can't remember the company) available through MacConnection
(I think it is about $100-$125, can`t remember, it has been awhile)
Works GREAT has macros, edits any TEXT file regardless of owner and
there is a hack (in the manual???) to cause it to be the texteditor
for files owned by EDIT.  Hope it helps...

/Tjp
-disclaimer --> *I* silenced the guard ...

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (07/29/89)

Gary Parnes writes:

-----------
Subject: Looking for a nice program text editor
.
A fellow worker of mine has recently bought a Mac SE 30....He told me that
he was really disappointed by the lack of nice program text editors for
the Mac.
.
More specifically, he is looking for a text editor that can do macros, and
an editor which features the ability to program macros of any sort (not
necessarily mouse macros) using a macro-language.
------------

Have your friend take a look at Vantage, the commercial version of McSink
(a shareware text editing DA aimed at programmers, does what he's looking
for).

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (08/08/89)

John Painter says in his post:

>QUED (I can't remember the company) available through MacConnection
>Works GREAT has macros, edits any TEXT file regardless of owner and
>there is a hack (in the manual???) to cause it to be the texteditor
>for files owned by EDIT.  Hope it helps...

However, I should point out that IMHO, QUED has a brain-dead user
interface. Instead of supporting the standard Apple file selection dialogs,
thay have their own custom file selection process, which is a window that
floats (or doesn't, if the window is not the currently selected window),
and it has an automatic filter that only  displays TEXT files. It can be
turned off, but the second you change directories, it is on again. All in
all, very inelegant. I spent so much time fighting with the user interface
that I threw it away and went back to Leonard Rosenthal's Sigma-Edit DA.

David J Harr --no fancy .sig, I used all my REAL braindead ideas above--

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (08/09/89)

In article <45792@tiger.oxy.edu> hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) writes:
>John Painter says in his post:
>
>>QUED (I can't remember the company) available through MacConnection
>>Works GREAT has macros, edits any TEXT file regardless of owner and
>>there is a hack (in the manual???) to cause it to be the texteditor
>>for files owned by EDIT.  Hope it helps...
>
>However, I should point out that IMHO, QUED has a brain-dead user
>interface. Instead of supporting the standard Apple file selection dialogs,
>thay have their own custom file selection process, which is a window that
>floats (or doesn't, if the window is not the currently selected window),
>and it has an automatic filter that only  displays TEXT files. It can be
>turned off, but the second you change directories, it is on again. All in
>all, very inelegant. I spent so much time fighting with the user interface
>that I threw it away and went back to Leonard Rosenthal's Sigma-Edit DA.
>
>David J Harr --no fancy .sig, I used all my REAL braindead ideas above--

Yes, but.... QUED's minifinder window allows one to add or remove files
from grep search paths, and one can copy the file names directly from the
window, giving one a basic version of unix's ls and grep without having to
open up MPW.  I've used most editors available on the Mac in the past
four years and have found it to be the most satisfactory overall.  In
particular, its implementation of regular expressions is very smooth.

-------------------
Simon Tortike, Department of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineering,
The University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.
simon@alberta.uucp || simon@cs.UAlberta.CA || Tel. +1 403 492-3338

sobiloff@agnes.uucp (Blake Sobiloff) (08/10/89)

You might want to check out either Nisus by Paragon Concepts (based on
QUED/M), or Preditor, a more programmng-oriented processor that seemed to
have many nice features (but I can't remember who markets it right now..).
							Blake

* Blake "Hey, where's *MY* fancy .signature?" Sobiloff *
*             sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu             *