[comp.sys.mac] Anyone remember MultiMac?

jg2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jude Anand George) (08/10/89)

jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:
> I know the question posed on the subject line above sounds strange, but
> what I mean is this:
>
> Will one be able to execute Finder tasks (such as copying disks, erasing/for-
> matting disks, etc.) in the background when System 7.0 comes out?  To me,
> mundane system tasks fall right in there with printing and downloading in
> terms of "desirability to start and forget (i.e. run in the background)."
>
> Would anybody care to offer some facts?  Opinions? Guesses? (This request is
> certainly open to Apple employees :-)
>
> Jay Boisseau
> jay@emx.utexas.edu

Does anyone remember MultiMac?  It was available a long time ago
(1986?) but would only run on 512's.  That's right, not even 512E's.
It had the same functionality as today's Multifinder, but also had
background file copies, and allowed you to allocate %CPU times to
applications as well as amount of RAM.  The background file copying
was wonderful:  you could copy a large file from one floppy to
another, and a second later it would say that the copy had completed.
But it was still copying... you could hear the drives spinning!
Meanwhile, you could do whatever you wanted.  If you ejected a disk,
it would let you, but would ask for it back a little later and proceed
with the copy!

The software was a little buggy, but was amazing for what it
could do with only 1/2Meg.  It wasn't an Apple product; I think
it was freeware.  Both the author and the software seem to
have vanished into anonymity.  Does anyone have a copy of this
lying around?  It sits in the system folder along with Finder, System,
etc.  It was pre-Servant... really old stuff.

 /                    ::::UUCP:::: the_known_world!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jg2f+
%\/ Jude Anand George :::BITNET::: jg2f+@ANDREW | jg2f+%andrew@{CMCCVB|CMCCVMA}
\/\ adjudge enrage on ::Internet:: jg2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
 \                    :Compuserve: >INET:jg2f+@andrew.cmu.edu