[comp.sys.mac] Requesting comments on Seagate Drives

871323o@aucs.uucp (Oliver Oey) (08/09/89)

I'm trying to decide on which hard drive that I should put my
money on.  After checking out the news on the net here and messages
on CompuServe.  Almost all brand names of hard drives on the market
received praise or abuse of some sort.  There are two names which I
haven't seen mentioned, Miniscribe and Seagate.  Therefore I am assuming
no body had any major problems with the above two brands.  Since Apple
use Seagate, I think I'll go for the drives with Seagate mechanism.

If anyone has any bad experience with Seagate drives, please let me
know.  I'll make up my mind at the end of the week and hopefully place
an order on Monday.

Thanks in advance.

kingman@tci.UUCP (Matt) (08/10/89)

871323o@aucs.uucp (Oliver Oey) writes:

>...There are two names which I
>haven't seen mentioned, Miniscribe and Seagate.  Therefore I am assuming
>no body had any major problems with the above two brands.  Since Apple
>use Seagate, I think I'll go for the drives with Seagate mechanism.
>
>If anyone has any bad experience with Seagate drives, please let me
>know.  I'll make up my mind at the end of the week and hopefully place
>an order on Monday.
>
>Thanks in advance.

I have a Seagate 40Mb drive in my Mac II and it often refuses to boot, and
occasionally refuses to even spin up (I initially thought the cable was
loose, but unfortunately, not the problem).  I haven't used any other
Seagate SCSI drives, but I have also had problems with several IBM-PC
type Seagate drives, both full and half height.  The other problem is
that some of the Seagate models tend to be noisy.  On a positive note,
they are usually less expensive than other brands.  I haven't had any
bad experiences with Miniscribe drives.

Just for info, my 40 will soon be replaced by a Quantum ProDrive.  I've
found that they are fast, reliable, and quiet. (even if they are more
expensive than other brands)

Good Luck
/Matt

...I have no affiliation with any of the aforementioned products or
companies.  Just speaking from personal experience.....

joeb@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Joe Ballantyne) (08/10/89)

I bought two Seagate ST-277N drives.  They are 65Mbyte
drives.  They have both flaked out on me  - one regularly
and the other one only occasionally.

Don't buy Seagate drives.  They are slow - compared to
Quantum drives, and they are cheap.  And yes, you do get
what you pay for.  Not much.

One of the drives when used with System 6.0 or earlier would
crash the system if it was left idling for more than 2 minutes before
data was read or written to the drive.

I believe that it was returning a SCSI status code of check condition
due to a seek error.  Naturally the system software was incapable
of dealing intelligently with this disk malfunction and crashed.

System 6.02 got rid of this problem.  However, Seagate claims the seek
error rate of their drive to be 1 in 1 million seeks.  Not in the case of
this drive.  If the seeks were seperated by 2 minutes in time, the error
rate was more like 1 in 1.

Since Apple was using Seagate drives, they may have been seeing this
problem also.  That is probably why they rewrote the software to retry the
seek without crashing the machine - it makes the disk look like it is ok, when
it is really not performing up to par.

If I were buying disk drives now, I would undoubtedly get a Quantum Pro Drive.
They are FAST, and with the exception of some which seem to have spin up
problems, they are reliable.

Joseph Ballantyne
joeb@hpmwtd.HP.COM

- The experiences and opinions expressed above are mine - they have nothing
whatsoever to do with HP.  Since HP has nothing whatsoever to do with the
Mac and related hardware.  (At least at my division.)

pratt@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jonathan Pratt) (08/10/89)

I have a 65Mbyte ST-277N drive in the guise of an Apple Crate.  Except
at boot time it's been reliable for the 1.5 years I've had it.  It
suffers from the common won't-spin-up-when-cold syndrome.  But then, so
does the 40Mb Quantum drive in the Mac II I use.  Whoever boxed it
offered a nice long two year warranty, so one of these days I may
complain.  If I were doing it over I would still get the Seagate drive,
but I would have waited a couple months for the parts to become
available so I could box it myself and save a couple hundred $.

Jonathan

/* Jonathan Pratt          Internet: pratt@boulder.colorado.edu     *
 * Campus Box 525              uucp: ..!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!pratt *
 * University of Colorado                                           *
 * Boulder, CO 80309          Phone: (303) 492-4293                 */