[comp.sys.mac] how to remove undeletable file

CHEE77@elroy.uh.edu (Fred Schulz) (08/10/89)

I am posting this for a colleague whose macII almost died yesterday of a
hard disk crash. SUM's guardian managed to restore the disk to working order
- it was otherwise unmountable. Hip Hip Hoorah!

But the file TMON has been corrupted. Error -43 File not found when trying
to access the file, and it shows up as something over 1000 meg in get info.
The problem is it can't be deleted or replaced.

How can this file be removed, short of erasing the hard disk and starting
over.

Thank you for your help.

randel@farcomp.UUCP (Randel Reiss) (08/10/89)

In article <1809@elroy.uh.edu> CHEE77@elroy.uh.edu (Fred Schulz) writes:
>I am posting this for a colleague whose macII almost died yesterday of a
>hard disk crash. SUM's guardian managed to restore the disk to working order
>- it was otherwise unmountable. Hip Hip Hoorah!
>
>But the file TMON has been corrupted. Error -43 File not found when trying
>to access the file, and it shows up as something over 1000 meg in get info.
>The problem is it can't be deleted or replaced.
>
>How can this file be removed, short of erasing the hard disk and starting
>over.
>
>Thank you for your help.

This has happened to me too many times.  I get usualy get evil folders that
will not be thrown away.  I will try all the usual tricks:

Reboot.
Rebuild desktop.
Disk first aid.
ResEdit.
FEdit.

I have recently resorted to backing up the hard disk and reformatting to get
rid of these things.  Can someone out there tell why the finder puts evil
spirits in random folders and how to get rid of them!

                                  -randel

--
|	well!farcomp!randel@apple.com			| If you can't	|
|	{apple,pacbell}!well!farcomp!randel		| look lively...|