[comp.sys.mac] Snap Crackle Pop PING!

Allon.Stern@SOLARVAX.UMD.EDU (08/11/89)

In Message-ID: <829@amc-vlsi.UUCP>, Ryan Jorgenson writes:

> I have a concern with Apple's Color Monitor (13").  I have a MacIIcx with
> 8 bit video card and the Apple Color Monitor.  My concern is that after the
> monitor has warmed up for a bit (~20 min), it begins making soft "poping" noises
> as if a small static buildup internally had just been discharged to ground.
> I checked our Color monitor that we have at work on a MacIIx, and it seems to
> do the same thing (except it isn't as noticeable as it is drowned out by the
> noisier fan in the IIx).

I can't really see static electricity as being the cause of this popping.
More likely its high voltage.  TV tubes require a nice high voltage power
supply to run, a few thousand volts or so.  I don't know what to do about
it, except for making sure that the contacts are clean and have no sharp
edges (HV likes to zap off of sharp edges or points).  But then again,
I could be wrong -- it could be something else.

                                - -= Allon =- -

allon@solarvax.umd.edu

 This is a test of the emergency signature system.  Were this an actual
 signature, you would see amusing mottos or edifying philisophical statements.
 This is only a test.