[comp.sys.mac] Yet another System 7.0 wishlist ite

sklein@cdp.UUCP (08/03/89)

Here is my system7.0 feature wish...

I wish that when NO item is selected in the finder, I should be able
to choose "Open" from the file menu, and get the SFGet dialog showing
all applications/documents, allowing me to navigate HFS without having
to open all those windows.  Perhaps it could add a checkbox to the
SFGet dialog to show Applications only.

-shabtai
(e-mail addresses/long sig follow)
UUCP:  uunet!pyramid!cdp!sklein   |  BitNet: cdp!sklein%labrea@stanford
Internet:  cdp!sklein@arisia.xerox.com   |  Phone: (301) 270-2250
"You can't always get what you wan't" -- Rolling Stones
"You can get it if you really want" -- Jimmy Cliff

hpoppe@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (08/03/89)

In article <141200067@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:

>Here is my system7.0 feature wish...
>
>I wish that when NO item is selected in the finder, I should be able
>to choose "Open" from the file menu, and get the SFGet dialog showing
>all applications/documents, allowing me to navigate HFS without having
>to open all those windows.  Perhaps it could add a checkbox to the
>SFGet dialog to show Applications only.

I don't see why this suggestion is any better than
"opening all those windows". One has to "open" all of the folder lists.
Also I recognize an application faster by its icon than I do
by its name. Also, I can see more icons in a Finder window than I can
see names in an SF dialog list.

Are you aware that System 7.0 has an "alias" mechanism that
allows the icon of a file to appear in more than one window?
(I'm not sure if this implies that the file appears in more than one
folder, though, because of the desired parallelism between the Finder
and SFGetFile I would assume so.) Thus you could organize all (most)
applications into a single high level folder as well as individual
folders along with their supporting files. (I wonder: if I open the
application from the "all applications view" will the application
be able to find its supporting files which it assumes are in the
"individual application view"?)

Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@ncar.UUCP

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/04/89)

In article <3856@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@bierstadt.UCAR.EDU (Herb Poppe) writes:
>In article <141200067@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:
>>
>>Here is my system7.0 feature wish...
>>
>>I wish that when NO item is selected in the finder, I should be able
>>to choose "Open" from the file menu, and get the SFGet dialog showing
>>all applications/documents, allowing me to navigate HFS without having
>>to open all those windows.  Perhaps it could add a checkbox to the
>>SFGet dialog to show Applications only.
>>
>I don't see why this suggestion is any better than
>"opening all those windows". One has to "open" all of the folder lists.

Easy.  It's better because you don't have all those folders open on the desktop that
you have to close!  (Finder has an option to close all the folders you opened when
getting to an application, but it doesn't run under MultiFinder, so it's not useful
in 7.0)

Furthermore, if you use something like Boomerang, you can keep a list of your most-
frequently used folders available from all the SFGet and Put dialogs.  Then you only
need select the folder you want from its list, and you're there.  Viola!

--Mike

Standard disclaimers...

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (08/05/89)

[stuff about wanting to choose "Open..." from the Finder and access the
>SFGet dialog box, to avoid flipping through windows on the desktop]

When Sys7 was first announced, part of the announcement was that it will
include an OnCue-like ability; that is, you will be able to install
applications into the Apple menu and launch them from there.

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) (08/08/89)

(request for Finder's Open, with nothing selected, invoking SFGetFile)

It makes sense, though, just from an argument of parallelism.  If Finder
is supposed to be the model application, why not?  And why not have
Shutdown as a Command-Q equivalent on the File Menu, as well?

--Cy--

davidl@intelob.intel.com (David Levine) (08/08/89)

In article <141200067@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:
> I wish that when NO item is selected in the finder, I should be able
> to choose "Open" from the file menu, and get the SFGet dialog showing
> all applications/documents, allowing me to navigate HFS without having
> to open all those windows.  Perhaps it could add a checkbox to the
> SFGet dialog to show Applications only.

There's a way to get this today: Use the DiskTop DA from CE Software.
DiskTop is a Finder-replacement DA with a StandardFile-like interface.
Just hit Command-Option-D (or your choice of command key) and DiskTop
pops up.  You can use all the StandardFile shortcuts (type a letter to
go to the first item beginning with that letter, use arrow keys, etc.)
to open documents or applications.  DiskTop is only about $50 (maybe
even less); it's even better when used with hierDA/DAmenuz.  I
recommend the combination highly!

I am not associated with CE Software, jbx (author of hierDA), or Apple.

            David D. Levine                BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNN  NNNN TM
        Senior Technical Writer            BBBB  BBBB iiii iiii NNNN NNNN
                                           BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNNNNNNN
UUCP: ...[!uunet]!tektronix!biin!davidl    BBBB  BBBB IIII IIII NNNN NNNN
MX-Internet: <davidl@intelob.intel.com>    BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNN  NNN
ARPA: <@iwarp.intel.com:davidl@intelob.intel.com>

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (08/09/89)

In article <186@dbase.UUCP> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
>(request for Finder's Open, with nothing selected, invoking SFGetFile)
>
>It makes sense, though, just from an argument of parallelism.  If Finder
>is supposed to be the model application, why not?  And why not have
>Shutdown as a Command-Q equivalent on the File Menu, as well?

I have an orthogonal (huh?) suggestion:  Make SFGetFile more Finder like.
Even making it more like the NeXT browser (which is not unique to the NeXT,
BTW) would be an improvement.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/09/89)

/* Written  3:43 pm  Aug  7, 1989 by cy@dbase.UUCP in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
> And why not have Shutdown as a Command-Q equivalent on the File
> Menu, as well?
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */

Well, I did this a year ago with ResEdit.

All is not roses, however.  Sometimes the mac II misses keys or is
just slow, so I occasionally hit command-Q twice, and accidentally
turn off my computer.

Furthermore, I have soldered an outlet to my monitor cable to connect
to my modem.  The other day I exited the telecomm program to free up
some memory, but I hit command-Q twice by mistake and turned off the
computer AND zapped my modem connection to a BBS.

A beginner would scream bloody murder about this; I simply curse and
tell myself to be more careful.  I understand why Apple hasn't added
command-Q = shutdown to the finder menu.  It's dangerous.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) (08/11/89)

In article <27413@srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@gorby.UUCP (Murat N. Konar) writes:
>>It makes sense, though, just from an argument of parallelism.  If Finder
>>is supposed to be the model application, why not?  And why not have
>>Shutdown as a Command-Q equivalent on the File Menu, as well?
>
>I have an orthogonal (huh?) suggestion:  Make SFGetFile more Finder like.
>Even making it more like the NeXT browser (which is not unique to the NeXT,
>BTW) would be an improvement.

Agreed.  See QUED/M's use of a modeless dialog which allows selection of
multiple files, etc.

And thanks to those of you who mailed me tips on how to add command-Q,
but the point I was trying to make (poorly!) was not what key should be
used, but that the Shutdown menu item, functioning like the Quit menu
item in a program, seems more natural on the File menu than on Special...
and could probably be renamed to Quit, as well.

--Cy--

sklein@cdp.UUCP (08/11/89)

Mike really hit on my reason for wanting SFGetFile to work from
the Finder.  I use Boomerang.  How nice it would be to always have
quick access to the ten most recently edited files.

Of course, not having all those windows open is convenient too!
 -shabtai