[comp.sys.mac] Yet another System 7.0 wishlist item

vomlehn@halley.UUCP (David M VomLehn) (08/02/89)

Since we're back on this...

I used Hand Feed on the Print dialog for printing checks, but most things I
want to print continuous feed.  All too frequently, I forget to switch to
continuous feed when printing a long document.  After the first page is
printed, I get the dialog telling me to insert the next page.  My two choices
at this point are OK and Cancel.  It would be helpful to have an additional
choice: Print Continously (or something like that).  This would let me print
the rest of my job without any more intervention.  This has another use in that
it would let me print the first page of something to be sure that I have the
page aligned correctly and then print the rest of the document without any
further bother.

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (08/02/89)

In article <550@halley.UUCP> vomlehn@halley.UUCP (David M VomLehn) writes:
>Since we're back on this...
[...]
>at this point are OK and Cancel.  It would be helpful to have an additional
>choice: Print Continously (or something like that).  This would let me print
>the rest of my job without any more intervention. This has another use in that
>it would let me print the first page of something to be sure that I have the
>page aligned correctly and then print the rest of the document without any
>further bother.

And...

You could print the first page on letterhead and the rest on normal pin-feed.
Sure, for all you LaserWriter jocks that's not an issue, but for all of us
with (more) affordable equipment, it's really nice to have more than the bare
minimum of features.
[flame on low]
I get the feeling that if Apple and Microsoft and all the other big companies
made all their employees use the low-end Macs like the Plus for a month out of
the year, that all software would work a whole lot better.
[flame off]

--Mike

Standard disclaimers...

jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com (Jeff E. Nelson) (08/11/89)

In article <186@dbase.UUCP>, cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
> ... And why not have
> Shutdown as a Command-Q equivalent on the File Menu, as well?
>
> --Cy--

Because if you press Command-Q twice within an application
--entirely possible, given keybounce and applications which
react slowly (i.e. take a while to give feedback that indicates
the keypress was seen, so you press it again)--you will
accidentally shut down your Macintosh.  Shutdown is really a
very special operation and you don't want to trigger it
by accident.  If you want to assign a keypress sequence to
invoke shutdown, it is better if you choose something other
than Command-Q.

-Jeff E. Nelson
-Digital Equipment Corporation
-Internet:  jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com
-  -or-     jnelson@tle.dec.com
-  -or-     jnelson%tle.dec@decwrl.dec.com
-Affiliation given for identfication purposes only

cleeland@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Chris Cleeland) (08/11/89)

In article <1397@hiatus.dec.com> jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com (Jeff E. Nelson) writes:

>In article <186@dbase.UUCP>, cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
>> ... And why not have
>> Shutdown as a Command-Q equivalent on the File Menu, as well?
>>
>> --Cy--
>
>If you want to assign a keypress sequence to
>invoke shutdown, it is better if you choose something other
>than Command-Q.

Awhile ago I hacked my Finder with Resedit (what a wonderful tool -- wish I
had an up-to-date copy :-> ) so that Shutdown was tied to Com-S and
Restart to Com-R.  This way, there's very little chance of my wanting to
"Save" something from within Finder, or wanting to "Replace" (or whatever
Com-R could be interpreted as) within the Finder.

Your mileage may vary if you have a slippery mouse which may switch you into
the finder (under Multifinder) without you knowing it.  This isn't a problem
for me, b/c I don't make a habit of shuffling lots of data around, and when
I do switch, I use the Apple manu instead of the icon.

Like I said, your mileage may vary.
--
Thanks
Chris Cleeland, Tulane University