[comp.sys.mac] Apple Color Monitor

harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) (08/28/87)

Well, my Apple color monitor just arrived (who says Christmas is in December?).
My initial impression is that it is FAR clearer than the NEC Multisync
that I had borrowed while waiting for the Apple one.  Especially B&W text
is much easier to read, and it appears that more gradations of color
are visible in the color-picker.  All in all, MUCH better.

However, 2 strange things:

o When looking at a page of B&W text, there is a slight smudge to the right
of the line of characters, and

o There is that rumored horizontal line about 2/3 down the screen.

Can anyone provide info on whether these are "normal" events, or sample
defects?  Especially the line seems just too obvious a defect in the
otherwise astounding clarity of the screen...

Jeff Harrow
DEC
617/264-5128

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (08/28/87)

In <11546@decwrl.DEC.COM>, harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) said:
>Well, my Apple color monitor just arrived (who says Christmas is in December?).
>However, 2 strange things:
>o There is that rumored horizontal line about 2/3 down the screen.
>
>Can anyone provide info on whether these are "normal" events, or sample
>defects?  Especially the line seems just too obvious a defect in the
>otherwise astounding clarity of the screen...

Hmmm... I'm having the same problem with my *non-apple* Sony monitor (the
line, not the smudge).  Same place too.  Methinks there are a set of
defective video cards out there.  Also, I do notice a slight lack of clean
focus on the left edge (is this what you were refering to Jeff?).

Apple?  How about it.  What's the word on these two things (especially since
my warranty expires in about a month).

Peter
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

preese@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Phil Reese) (08/28/87)

In article <20321@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:
>In <11546@decwrl.DEC.COM>, harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) said:
>>Well, my Apple color monitor just arrived (who says Christmas is in December?).
>>However, 2 strange things:
>>o There is that rumored horizontal line about 2/3 down the screen.
>>
>>Can anyone provide info on whether these are "normal" events, or sample
>>defects?  Especially the line seems just too obvious a defect in the
>>otherwise astounding clarity of the screen...
>

>Hmmm... I'm having the same problem with my *non-apple* Sony monitor (the

At the BMUG meeting last night an answer to this question was suggested.
This answer supposedly came from a SuperMac Tech person.

It seems that in the larger Sony trinitron monitor, both Apple's and
SuperMac's monster, there are support wires inside the CRT to help keep
the inside in and the outside out.  It is a shadow of one of these wires
that you are seeing in your screens.  Take it or leave it as an
explanation.

Phil Reese
SESAME Group
School of Ed, UC Berkeley
preese@garnet.berkeley.edu
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!garnet!preese

north@apple.UUCP (Donald N. North) (08/28/87)

>>Well, my Apple color monitor just arrived (who says Christmas is in December?).
>>However, 2 strange things:
>>o There is that rumored horizontal line about 2/3 down the screen.
>>
>>Can anyone provide info on whether these are "normal" events, or sample
>>defects?  Especially the line seems just too obvious a defect in the
>>otherwise astounding clarity of the screen...
>Hmmm... I'm having the same problem with my *non-apple* Sony monitor (the
>line, not the smudge).  Same place too.  Methinks there are a set of
>defective video cards out there.  Also, I do notice a slight lack of clean
>focus on the left edge (is this what you were refering to Jeff?).

There is nothing wrong ... the 'line' you see is a tension wire in the Sony
Triniton tube to keep the aperture grill from flopping around (and your image
converged) as it heats up.  ALL Trinitrons have it (the larger ones have
a pair) - it's just easier to see on the Mac2 since the screen is mostly
white.  Apple specifically had the tube installed UPSIDE DOWN so the wire
would be nearer the bottom of the screen (outside the 'peak' viewing area)
so it would be as invisible as possible.  Once you see the wire(s), you
will forever see them in EVERY Trinitron you happen to look at (they tend
to jump out at you once you know they are there ...).

*** THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH EITHER YOUR MONITOR OR VIDEO CARD ***
--

Don North
Apple Computer, Inc.

UUCP:  {voder,nsc,dual,sun,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!north
CSNET: north@apple.CSNET

{{ Facts are facts, but any opinions expressed are my own, and do not     }}
{{ represent any viewpoint, official or otherwise, of Apple Computer, Inc.}}

russell@acf3.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell) (08/29/87)

Billy Steinberg, a NY mac wiz _and_ the guy who does the video for
the Bill Cosby Show among other things says that ALL Sony trinitron
tubes ever made have had this line.  It's just the way it is....
-r
(Richard Reich as russell@nyu)

eades@softcore.UUCP (09/02/87)

In article <11546@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) writes:

>o There is that rumored horizontal line about 2/3 down the screen.
>
>Can anyone provide info on whether these are "normal" events, or sample
>defects?  Especially the line seems just too obvious a defect in the
>otherwise astounding clarity of the screen...

I too, just received my monitor, and was concerned with the line you
speak off.  This is apparently normal for Sony monitors and has
something to do with stabilizing the image on the screen although its
quite annoying to see this on such an otherwise flawless screen.  If
anyone can add more information about this characteristic, it would be
much appreciated.

	Mark Eades
	eades@sun.com

ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) (08/04/89)

I have a concern with Apple's Color Monitor (13").  I have a MacIIcx with
8 bit video card and the Apple Color Monitor.  My concern is that after the
monitor has warmed up for a bit (~20 min), it begins making soft "poping" noises
as if a small static buildup internally had just been discharged to ground.
I checked our Color monitor that we have at work on a MacIIx, and it seems to
do the same thing (except it isn't as noticeable as it is drowned out by the
noisier fan in the IIx).

   Should I be worried?  My monitor is still under Applecare, but I don't want
to send it away if I don't have to.

		Thanks in Advance,

ryan@amc-vlsi.uucp		|	Ryan Jorgenson
ryan@amc-vlsi.ucalgary.ca	|	The Alberta Microelectronic Centre

jbence@sonia.math.ucla.edu (James K. Bence) (08/10/89)

In article <829@amc-vlsi.UUCP> ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) writes:
>I have a concern with Apple's Color Monitor (13").  I have a MacIIcx with
>8 bit video card and the Apple Color Monitor.  My concern is that after the
>monitor has warmed up for a bit (~20 min), it begins making soft "poping"
>noises
>ryan@amc-vlsi.ucalgary.ca	|	The Alberta Microelectronic Centre
>				|	Calgary, Alberta Canada

Ok, I've got the same problem (?) with my 3 week old Mac IIcx.
Anybody else out there heard of this also?

James Bence
UCLA Math Dept.

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (08/10/89)

In article <829@amc-vlsi.UUCP> ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) writes:
>I have a concern with Apple's Color Monitor (13").  I have a MacIIcx with
>8 bit video card and the Apple Color Monitor.  My concern is that after the
>monitor has warmed up for a bit (~20 min), it begins making soft "poping" noises
>as if a small static buildup internally had just been discharged to ground.
>ryan@amc-vlsi.uucp		|	Ryan Jorgenson

   I had this problem with the first Apple Color monitor I got which was
in Nov. 1987 (the first crop). After a while it started making LOUD POPPING
NOISES (with sparks) and scared the hell out of me. I took it in for service,
they 'fixed' it. I took it home and it started doing it again. I complained
again and they replaced the monitor. I haven't had any difficulty
since.
   Better safe than sorry.

David Gelphman
Adobe Systems Incorporated

tod@parsely.uucp (Tod Oace) (08/11/89)

In article <1571@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> jbence@math.ucla.edu (James K. Bence) writes:
>In article <829@amc-vlsi.UUCP> ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) writes:
>>I have a concern with Apple's Color Monitor (13").  I have a MacIIcx with
>>8 bit video card and the Apple Color Monitor.  My concern is that after the
>>monitor has warmed up for a bit (~20 min), it begins making soft "poping"
>>noises
>>ryan@amc-vlsi.ucalgary.ca	|	The Alberta Microelectronic Centre
>>				|	Calgary, Alberta Canada
>

>Ok, I've got the same problem (?) with my 3 week old Mac IIcx.
>Anybody else out there heard of this also?
>
>James Bence
>UCLA Math Dept.

My 1 week (going on 2!) old IIcx monitor seems to be doing the same thing,
although I'd describe the sound as more of a soft snapping sound.
Also, I've mostly noticed it after I've turned it off.  Scarey?
I haven't noticed how long it lasts though.
--

Tod Oace (tod@parsely.UUCP)	...!tektronix.TEK.COM!psu-cs!parsely!tod

jm5b+@andrew.cmu.edu (James Eduard Mace) (08/11/89)

popping sounds (like static) after warming up...

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that mine was experiencing this
problem.  Being somewhat concerned (and still under warranty) I took
it in for service.  I was informed that this was a known problem with
the monitors.  Apparently in humid conditions, you can get static
discharges inside the monitor.  I was told not to worry about it.
Nonetheless, I am probably going to put my IIcx and monitor on
AppleCare.

This seems to be a logical explanation, since I have brought my Mac in
to work where it is air-conditioned and the monitor now seems to be
perfectly happy.

--Jim

James Mace (jm5b+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Department of Biological Sciences, Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

"If we knew how it worked, it wouldn't be called research"

stuart@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (08/11/89)

In article <1066@adobe.UUCP>, gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) writes:
[actually, he responds: ]
>    I had this problem with the first Apple Color monitor I got which was
> in Nov. 1987 (the first crop). After a while it started making LOUD POPPING
> NOISES (with sparks) and scared the hell out of me. I took it in for service,
> they 'fixed' it. I took it home and it started doing it again. I complained
> again and they replaced the monitor. I haven't had any difficulty
> since.
>    Better safe than sorry.
>
> David Gelphman
> Adobe Systems Incorporated

I had this problem with my Apple color monitor as well - LOUD
popping noises that would sometimes affect the image on the screen.
I tried to examine it from a safe distance, and it seemed to be from
the tube itself.

People here on the net suggested that it might just be a short, but
it did turn out to be a broken tube.  $400!  Ouch!  There went all my
software purchases!

In any case, you shouldn't fool around with such noises in a
HIGH-voltage item like a monitor.  The first poster mentioned
applecare, so it's already paid for!  Even if you don't have
applecare, get it checked out, and save yourself
trouble later.  (Both Mac-wise and maybe health-wise)

Maybe the Sony tubes aren't so great.  But mine was one of the first
batch too.  I HATE Apple's 90-day warranty.  If I had burned it in
8-hours a day, 5 days a week for the 90-day period, they would have
had to pay for this.  But I was extremely busy by the time the
color monitors finally arrived.  A One-Year warranty would have
covered that.

Ooops.  Flame off.....

Stuart

--
Stuart Ericson                  AT&T Bell Laboratories    | Note: area code 312
USEnet: att!ihlpa!stuart        IH 1C215                  |   becomes 708 on

pwp@shamash.cdc.com ( HOUFAC) (08/12/89)

My wifes company had similar problems with a batch of new PS2 systems they
got from IBM.  (Big company, IBM corporate account.)  After *much* complaining
by the users IBM replaced 'em all.

--Pete Poorman
  Control Data Corporation
  Houston, Texas