[comp.sys.mac] External FDHD?

joe@gistdev.UUCP (Joe Brownlee) (08/08/89)

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about plans for an external FDHD
drive for the Mac.  I had a Mac Plus with an external drive, but I included the
drive in the deal when I sold the system.  I liked having two floppy drives,
and I miss the second drive, so I am consdering getting one for my IIcx.  I am
getting to like using 1.44 MB disks (other than the cost :-(), but I also have
a ton of 800K disks, too.

Getting another Apple (or thrid party) 800K drive is no good, since I want to
be able to use 1.44 MB disks as well.  Getting a drive that reads 1.44 MB disks
is no good, because the only drives like that I know of (Periperal Land has
one) don't read 400 or 800K disks.  And, since my wife uses the FDHD to read
MS-DOS diskettes, it is really desirable to have a second drive that can do
that, as well.

It seems to me like Apple would have announced an external FDHD not long after
its introduction.  Instead, here we are a year later and I haven't read a thing
about any such plans.  I know that Apple people can't talk about unreleased or
potential products, but I am wondering if anyone knows of a product like this,
or even plans for one.  Does anyone else think such a product would be useful?

Joe Brownlee       | Captain, please -- not in front of the Klingons.
GIST, Inc.         |                                -- Mr. Spock, Star Trek V
1800 Woodfield Dr. | Pay attention to what I say, and you might start a trend.
Savoy, IL 61874	   | ARPANET: joe%gistdev@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
(217) 352-1165	   | UUCP   : {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!gistdev!joe

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/08/89)

In article <475@gistdev.UUCP>, joe@gistdev.UUCP (Joe Brownlee) writes:
> It seems to me like Apple would have announced an external FDHD not long
> after its introduction.  Instead, here we are a year later and I haven't
> read a thing about any such plans.

The problem with the FDHD is that it requires the Super Integrated Woz
Machine Chip (SWIM). This replaces the IWM (SWIM-Super) chip on the mother-
board. So, as far as I know, there are no plans/possibilities to override
the SWIM chip (from without) and make an external FDHD. Sorry...

Adam

|| Adam Glass, NeXT hacker for the slave-drivers at the MIT Media Laboratory ||
||                           #include <std_dsclmr.h>                         ||
||  %%              "But Westley, what about the R.O.U.S.es?"            %%  ||
||  %%       "Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist..."      %%  ||
||       EMail to: adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu OR adamg@athena.mit.edu      ||

dxjsb@dcatla.UUCP (Jack S. Brindle) (08/09/89)

In article <453@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass)
writes:

>In article <475@gistdev.UUCP>, joe@gistdev.UUCP (Joe Brownlee) writes:
>> It seems to me like Apple would have announced an external FDHD not long
>> after its introduction.  Instead, here we are a year later and I haven't
>> read a thing about any such plans.

>The problem with the FDHD is that it requires the Super Integrated Woz
>Machine Chip (SWIM). This replaces the IWM (SWIM-Super) chip on the mother-
>board. So, as far as I know, there are no plans/possibilities to override
>the SWIM chip (from without) and make an external FDHD. Sorry...

But he wants to plug it into a Mac IIcx which already has both a SWIM chip
and an external disk connector. Apparently Apple announced the drive some
time ago. It lists at $629.00 and has part number M0112. It _is_ listed in
the July developers price list...

Ask and ye shall find :-)

Jack Brindle

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (08/09/89)

In article <475@gistdev.UUCP> joe@gistdev.UUCP (Joe Brownlee) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about plans for an external FDHD
>drive for the Mac.
>It seems to me like Apple would have announced an external FDHD not long after
>its introduction.  Instead, here we are a year later and I haven't read a thing
>about any such plans.  I know that Apple people can't talk about unreleased or
>potential products, but I am wondering if anyone knows of a product like this,
>or even plans for one.  Does anyone else think such a product would be useful?

Yes, I'd like to see an external FDHD.  Especially since apple has
announced that SEs will now come with the drive and they're offering an
upgrade for older SEs to install an internal FDHD drive.  For me, buying
an external drive and plugging it in would be a lot simpler (and
cheaper?) than taking my SE in to the local dealer (who's mostly IBM
oriented :-< ) for an upgrade.

One question for those in the know:

Would an external FDHD drive be able to run on an SE or Plus?  I believe
that the internal upgrade includes changes to the motherboard to allow
the SE to use the FDHD.  Would such a change be necessary to use an
external FDHD as well?

--
Geoff Allen - WINCO Computer Process Engineering
...{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  |  Disclaimer:  WINCO doesn't believe in Macs,

granteri@pnet51.cts.com (Grant Erickson) (08/10/89)

Joe, Kennect Technology has announced a that their drive is now compatible
with Apple's FDHD and it will read/write 360/400/720/800/1440
/2400K floppies. The 2400K is achieved using HD floppies in their drive, 1.44
is achieved with normal floppies or HD floppies. IF you are going to use it on
a normal (non SWIM Chip Mac, ie Plus or SE or II), then you must buy the
Rapport.

                                                  Grant Erickson

._________________________________________________________.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!granteri    |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!granteri@nosc.mil              |
| INET: granteri@pnet51.cts.com                           |
| In order to be intelligent, one must first be insane... |

henry.matejko@canremote.uucp (HENRY MATEJKO) (08/12/89)

The Rapport and 2.4 drive from Kennect seems to be the answer.  It is a
tab expensive.  I've posted a reply to someone asking about the 2.4
earlier on this board.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.0R