[comp.sys.mac] Multilaunchable HyperCard

pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (David B. Pakman) (07/28/89)

Not too long ago, I had read that in order to make HyperCard
executable from a server as a shared application (multi-
launchable), there was a slight mod one had to make to
HyperCard itself.  It involved changing some 'in use' bit
somewhere.

Anyone have any info?  Please e-mail.  Thanks!

David Pakman
Apple Student Rep
pakman@scolls.wharton.upenn.edu

\ -David Pakman                           | "Help me, help me,     /
/  Apple Student Rep                      |   I been hyp-no-tized" \
\  ARPA: pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu |                        /
/  AppleLink: ST0338                      |   -David Letterman     \

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (07/28/89)

In article <13269@netnews.upenn.edu> pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (David B. Pakman) writes:
>Not too long ago, I had read that in order to make HyperCard
>executable from a server as a shared application (multi-
>launchable), there was a slight mod one had to make to
>HyperCard itself.  It involved changing some 'in use' bit
>somewhere.

HyperCard is NOT a multiuser application.  Some kludges MAY work; however,
if this was a function intended for HyperCard, then Apple would have done
it and documented it...

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

truel@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Robert Truel) (07/28/89)

In article <13269@netnews.upenn.edu> pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (David B. Pakman) writes:
>Not too long ago, I had read that in order to make HyperCard
>executable from a server as a shared application (multi-
>launchable), there was a slight mod one had to make to
>HyperCard itself.  It involved changing some 'in use' bit
>somewhere.
>
>Anyone have any info?  Please e-mail.  Thanks!
>
>David Pakman
>Apple Student Rep
>pakman@scolls.wharton.upenn.edu

Please post as we were having problems making HyperCard shareable here
as well.

Bob Truel.

filler

fitz@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Kerien Fitzpatrick) (08/12/89)

Maybe Apple should reconsider making HyperCard software multi-launch.
HyperCard was bundled with almost all of our Macs at one time and we have
purchased versions for everyone that wants to use it.  My suggestion would
be for Apple to wake up and smell the roses.  It is a royal pain to maintain separate copies for everyone (my guess is Apple has interest in hard disk manufacturers and chip manufacturers).

Hopefully I haven't written any text here that Apple has copyrighted!

Kerien Fitzpatrick
Field Robotics Center
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) CMU-6564
fitz@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu

Disclaimer:  Of course this opinion is my own.....my employers cringe at
the thought that I have net access.