[comp.sys.mac] Does HP have a postscript printer in the works?

peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) (08/03/89)

A department here has an HP laserjet II and needs that type of printer
for a specific program they have (Peopleware). They also need postscript
support and I suggested the QMS postscript upgrade. However, this product,
as I understand it, cannot be used as a shared printer. This makes it
less attractive. I've looked at other postscript upgrades but they all
use postscript clones and none seem to be as well-rounded as the QMS
product (although some can be set up for sharing).

Does anyone know if HP has or plans to have a laserprinter that supports
both the Laserjet language as well as postscript. Or alternatively, does
HP plan to have a postscript upgrade for the Laserjet that would allow
the printer to be shared by other PCs (and possibly Macs)? We need these
questions answered before we can fork out $2500(CDN) on the QMS printer
upgrade. Thanks.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) (08/04/89)

> Does anyone know if HP has or plans to have a laserprinter that supports
> both the Laserjet language as well as postscript. Or alternatively, does
> HP plan to have a postscript upgrade for the Laserjet that would allow
> the printer to be shared by other PCs (and possibly Macs)?

I may have an answer to my own question. I just saw a note in InfoWorld
about a font cartridge for the HP Laserjet that will give it postscript
support. The product is by Pacific Data Products, not HP (you'd think
HP would think of something like this). Although not yet available, it
certainly is a lot cheaper than the $2500 QMS upgrade we were looking
at. The price is $695, although the HP has to be upgraded to 2.5 megs.
Still cheaper though. Does anyone have some pre-release info on this
product? Is it as good a deal as it appears? Is it true postscript
or one of those clones?

--

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (08/05/89)

In article <1989Aug4.110631.25592@aucs.uucp> peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) writes:
> Does anyone know if HP has or plans to have a laserprinter that supports
> both the Laserjet language as well as postscript. Or alternatively, does
> HP plan to have a postscript upgrade for the Laserjet that would allow
> the printer to be shared by other PCs (and possibly Macs)?

The PSJet/PSJet+ from Laser Connection is a piece of add-on hardware for
an HP printer - not sure which models, that does give you a true Adobe
PostScript printer with HPLJ+ emulation. It can be hooked up over AppleTalk,
Serial, or Parallel. The Laser Connection is in Mobile, AL @ 800/523-2696.

HP is also one of Adobe's announced OEMs.

Hope that helps.

---
Brian Bezanson						bezanson@adobe.com

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (08/05/89)

Consider the PS-388 from Princeton Publishing, Princeton, NJ (609)
924-1153.  It's faster than the QMS board (by quite a bit) and is
"installable in network servers."
--
Pete Holsberg -- Mercer College -- Trenton, NJ 08690
...!rutgers!princeton!njsmu!mccc!pjh

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (08/09/89)

> support. The product is by Pacific Data Products, not HP (you'd think
> HP would think of something like this). Although not yet available, it

Can the postscript font cartridge work on an HP Laserjet Series II as
well?

maryw@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Mary Williams) (08/12/89)

Posted for a friend...

I've just received a press release from TeleTypesetting in Boston
announcing a product called PostPrint.  It's a software translation
program, taking PostScript programs such as Adobe Illustrator and
others and printing them to LaserJets.  I expect to get a review
copy, but haven't yet, so I can't say much about it.  I'm guessing
that it works similar to DOS-based PostScript translation programs
where you create a file and then run the program to convert it
to bits the LaserJet understands.  The press release contact is
Marleen Winer at (617) 734-0736.

I believe there is a product from Pacific Data Products as well that
might suit your needs.  I've just read about it (not seen it) but
evidently it is a PostScript cartridge that fits into the font
cartridge slots on the series II printers.  It's a PostScript clone--
not Adobe code.

The LaserJet division of HP is (as always) looking at new technologies.
You might like to check with your local HP sales rep to find out more
about new products.

Good luck!

Lynn Hoffmann
LaserJet division, HP