[comp.sys.mac] Studio/1

Mark.Carrel@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Carrel) (07/19/89)

Has anyone had a chance to try out the Studio/1 paint/animation program?  I've seen mention of it in magzines and it looks real nice since it comes with an XCMD to run animations in Hypercard. If any knows anything about this product, I'd like to hear about it.

FidoNet:  1:161/445      UUCP: sun!apple!bmug!<User.Name>
INTERNET:  bmug!<User.Name>@apple.COM or <User.Name>@bmug.fidonet.org
USNAIL:   BMUG, 1442A Walnut St. #62, Berkeley, CA 94709-1496
BMUG  ARPANET ADDRESSES:
Newsletter submissions:  pub@bmug.fidonet.org
Membership or business: biz@bmug.fidonet.org
Information: info@bmug.fidonet.org
Help Line Questions:  help@bmug.fidonet.org

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (08/14/89)

In article <1989Aug8.112154.17575@aucs.uucp> peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) writes:
>> Does anyone have any experience with SuperPaint 2.0?  I am thinking
>> about upgrading ($50), and was wondering if it was worth it.
>
>Save your money. Although it has a lot of features, it is *SLOWWW* and
>very buggy. Put the money towards Canvas or something else. In my
>opinion, SuperPaint has missed the boat.

If you are looking for a good monochrome paint program, I strongly
reccomend Studio/1.

I bought mine last week and have been nothing but impressed with it.
I also own SuperPaint 2.0 and now wish I hadn't.  There are things I
am able to do in Studio/1 (and within a few minutes of first using it)
that I still am not able to do in SuperPaint.  (The animation features
notwithstanding, it is an incredible paint program).

As for speed, I am running it on a 2.5mb Mac Plus under Multi-finder.
Animations can be slow in creating, but I expected that.  The paint
part of it only seems to have trouble when doing gradient fills on
bezier objects.  I have not really been bothered by the speed drag.
At least in Sudio/1, the tools themselves respond fast.  In SuperPaint
I find it hard to slow myself down so the tool can keep up with me.  Also,
the Studio/1 air brush is far more responsive and faster than the SP one.

Interestingly, there is a feature that no one has mentioned yet (In Studio/1
that is) and this is the perspective generator.  You can select any object
and make a grid with it and rotate this grid in any of the three dimensions.
The effect of this is that you can make an infinite plane of any object zooming
off to the horizon.  (I did this with a digitized picture of a friend and
it looked very cool.  Especially nice as a background for an animation.)

In conclusion, if you are looking for a good quality monochrome paint program,
check out Studio/1.  I think the price ($99 through MacConnection) is worth
the paint part alone.

(of course, The animation part is worth $99 alone too...)

-ajw

>--
>Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
>Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
>UUCP: {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Peter
>BITNET: Peter@Acadia  Internet: Peter%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

Andy J. Williams '90  |           <hello>           | ack@dartvax.dartmouth.edu
31 North Main Street  |  set $NAME='inigo_montoya'  |        Systems Programmer
Hanover NH, 03755     |     You kill -9 my ppid     | Kiewit Computation Center
603-643-2177          |        prepare to vi        |         Dartmouth College