[comp.sys.mac] please help me find technote

sklein@cdp.UUCP (08/04/89)

I'm writing a letter to Microsoft to report the bug regarding font
tracking.  (Word 4.0 tracks fonts by number--every time I open a
document on a different Mac, all the fonts are changed.)

Anyhow, as ammunition, I'd like to cite the technote number and date
when Apple officially told developers to track fonts by name.  I
think that technote is about two years old, but I don't have it.

If you can send me the technote # or date, or especially the actual
technote, i'd be grateful.

Thanks
-shabtai
cdp!sklein@arisia.xerox.com

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/11/89)

In article <141200068@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:
> I'm writing a letter to Microsoft to report the bug regarding font
> tracking.  (Word 4.0 tracks fonts by number--every time I open a
> document on a different Mac, all the fonts are changed.)

	You're not serious, are you?  If Word 4.0 does indeed exhibit the
behavior you say (fonts get scrambled when you move to a different Mac)
then it renders the program absolutely unusable for every situation where a
document might possibly be used on more than one system.  Which means it
renders the program absolutely unusable for almost everybody.  I can't
believe even Microsoft would release software with that serious a bug in
it.  Could they?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

kuo@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Andy Y.A. Kuo) (08/12/89)

#> I'm writing a letter to Microsoft to report the bug regarding font
#> tracking.  (Word 4.0 tracks fonts by number--every time I open a
#> document on a different Mac, all the fonts are changed.)
>document might possibly be used on more than one system.  Which means it
>renders the program absolutely unusable for almost everybody.  I can't
>believe even Microsoft would release software with that serious a bug in
>it.  Could they?

Actually, tracking fonts by ID is the method almost all Mac softwares
go by.

So it is the user's responsibility to make sure the fonts installed
has the "standard" ID.  Or, you could always bring your system with
you and boot from it.

You might think, why don't the softwares keep track of the Fonts by their
names?  The answer is:I don't know, but I _think_(can't guerantee)
Cricket Draw and PageMaker is using that method.

My opinion: MS-Word4.0 is one of the nicest thing in the world!

dphillip@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Dave Phillips) (08/12/89)

In article <10698@boulder.Colorado.EDU> kuo@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Andy Y.A. Kuo) writes:

>#> I'm writing a letter to Microsoft to report the bug regarding font
>#> tracking.  (Word 4.0 tracks fonts by number--every time I open a
>#> document on a different Mac, all the fonts are changed.)
>>document might possibly be used on more than one system.  Which means it
>>renders the program absolutely unusable for almost everybody.  I can't
>>believe even Microsoft would release software with that serious a bug in
>>it.  Could they?
>
>Actually, tracking fonts by ID is the method almost all Mac softwares
>go by.

	Try Font Harmony included with Suitcase II by Fifth
	Generation Software Systems.  If should handle any
	discrepencies you are having with Font ID numbers.

							peace
							dave philllips

) (08/12/89)

In article <10698@boulder.Colorado.EDU= kuo@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Andy Y.A. Kuo) writes:
== I'm writing a letter to Microsoft to report the bug regarding font
== tracking.  (Word 4.0 tracks fonts by number--every time I open a
== document on a different Mac, all the fonts are changed.)
==document might possibly be used on more than one system.  Which means it
==renders the program absolutely unusable for almost everybody.  I can't
==believe even Microsoft would release software with that serious a bug in
==it.  Could they?

=Actually, tracking fonts by ID is the method almost all Mac softwares
=go by.

Yes, but he said "Number". This could mean number in the "Fonts" list,
used in GetIndResource call. But Microsoft wouldn't do this, would they ?
(I haven't tried changing systems, so I can't say about the original
post, though.)

Have a nice day!

h+@nada.kth.se
--
God didn't create the world in 7 days.  He pulled an all-nighter on the 6th.

kuo@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Andy Y.A. Kuo) (08/12/89)

>>#> I'm writing a letter to Microsoft to report the bug regarding font
>>#> tracking.  (Word 4.0 tracks fonts by number--every time I open a
>>#> document on a different Mac, all the fonts are changed.)
>>>document might possibly be used on more than one system.  Which means it
>>>renders the program absolutely unusable for almost everybody.  I can't
>>>believe even Microsoft would release software with that serious a bug in
>>>it.  Could they?
>>
>>Actually, tracking fonts by ID is the method almost all Mac softwares
>>go by.
>
>	Try Font Harmony included with Suitcase II by Fifth
>	Generation Software Systems.  If should handle any
>	discrepencies you are having with Font ID numbers.

Font Harmony does two major things:
1.Check the font structure, it happen somehow that some fonts
  are defected.  FH tries to convert the FOND resource to the NFNT
  resouce thus there can be a lot more IDs available(there WAS only
  256 IDs available, and Apple reserves 128 of them.)

2.Check ID conflict, because of the rather limited possible IDs,
  fonts can very possible share one ID(even among some publisher's own
  sets, so just buying one publisher's fonts won't help).  When a
  application calls for that ID, it can only get one font, thus you
  can't use the other font that has the same ID.  FH resolve that
  conflict by making sure one font family only has one unique ID.

So, in this case, use FH won't help since the problem is caused
by inconsistent ID number between systems.

I think the best way to solve it is:
 1)make sure you have the same set of fonts,or
 2)some how make all applications call a font by its name
   instead of the ID.

-Andy

Internet:
kuo@tramp.Colorado.EDU

ericsc@microsoft.UUCP (Eric Schlegel) (08/14/89)

In <10698@boulder.Colorado.EDU>kuo@tramp.Colorado.EDU(Andy Y.A. Kuo)writes:

>>>I'm writing a letter to Microsoft to report the bug regarding font
>>> tracking.  (Word 4.0 tracks fonts by number--every time I open a
>>> document on a different Mac, all the fonts are changed.)
>>document might possibly be used on more than one system.  Which means it
>>renders the program absolutely unusable for almost everybody.  I can't
>>believe even Microsoft would release software with that serious a bug in
>>it.  Could they?
>
>Actually, tracking fonts by ID is the method almost all Mac softwares
>go by.
>
>So it is the user's responsibility to make sure the fonts installed
>has the "standard" ID.  Or, you could always bring your system with
>you and boot from it.

The tech note is #191, "Font Names," issued April 2, 1988.

It may be true that many Mac programs still track fonts by resource ID.
I haven't checked recently. Regardless of that, however, Apple has
clearly stated in this tech note that it is NOT the user's responsibility
to fix these conflicts; it is the application's job to avoid the problem
in the first place, by using font names. I was majorly bummed to find
out that Word 4 was still tracking by ID.

Grr... I
have
fascist
mailer.

Eric Schlegel
----
Microsoft owns the code I write, but the opinions are all mine.