[comp.sys.mac] Preventing "The Namer"

pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (David B. Pakman) (08/08/89)

Is there a way to prevent a user from renaming an AppleTalk
ImageWriter and/or LaserWriter?  I am in a lab situation
where we would like to prevent malicious users with
"The Namer" from renaming our print stations.

Also - This may sound REALLY strange, but we have an
AppleTalker ImageWriter II that hisses.  Yes, that's right.
I haven't taken it to my dealer yet or opened it up.
It periodically makes a hissing sound, EXACTLY like
leaking air.

Any ideas?  PLEASE e-mail.  Thanks,

David Pakman

\ -David Pakman                           | "Help me, help me,     /
/  Apple Student Rep                      |   I been hyp-no-tized" \
\  ARPA: pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu |                        /
/  AppleLink: ST0338                      |   -David Letterman     \

peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) (08/09/89)

> Is there a way to prevent a user from renaming an AppleTalk
> ImageWriter and/or LaserWriter?  I am in a lab situation
> where we would like to prevent malicious users with
> "The Namer" from renaming our print stations.

That hasn't happened here, but if it did our solution would be simple:
Suspend The Student's Account. Our file server keeps track of who runs
what software and we would be able to tell who did the deed. We suspend
accounts regularly for student indiscretions....

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (08/13/89)

In article <1989Aug9.111512.9014@aucs.uucp> peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) writes:
>Our file server keeps track of who runs
>what software and we would be able to tell who did the deed.

What kind of file server are you using (AppleShare etc)? On what
computer does it run (Mac, Unix etc)?

Apple's AppleShare does not log anything like this.

--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) (08/14/89)

>>Our file server keeps track of who runs
>>what software and we would be able to tell who did the deed.
>
> What kind of file server are you using (AppleShare etc)? On what
> computer does it run (Mac, Unix etc)?
>
> Apple's AppleShare does not log anything like this.

We are using MacJANET, developed by Watcom Products in Ontario
Canada. It's a great package for a hostile student environment.
Actually, it doesn't necessary solve the Namer problem. It only
logs activity if the user has a MacJANET boot disk. Otherwise
it oblivious to what's going on.