[comp.sys.mac] DeskWriter comments and a question

scott@spectra.COM (Tim Scott) (08/09/89)

Mr. Connick's posting was very interesting, and anyone interested in
saving $ should chek it out.

I however was a chump and spent $900 + $309 (fonts) for the DW (Desk
Writer). I love it a lot, but found out a couple days ago that a
friend would have been happy to get me one for $720 (special discount;
not available thru stores!) *gnash gnarl*

Also there may be student discounts, since a poster from Notre Dame
said he paid $729 for his.

For future reference: does the DJ (DeskJet/+) with MacPrint driver
handle all the NT-style fonts you get with the DW? How does it handle
DTP fonts in general? Anybody else want to report on their Grappler or
macPrint experiences with DJs?

And another question: does anyone know why the DW has no "Faster"
mode when used with WORD 3.0? Any fix known? Help?

(For more DW info, see this group a week or two ago.)

Like, caveat emptor, man.

T. P. Scott, Spectragraphics Corp.
9125 Rehco Rd., San Diego CA 92121 [USA]+619-450-0611
Try: scott@spectra.com  or ...{ucsd!}nosc!spectra!com

moreno@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Andres Moreno) (08/10/89)

A friend of mine wants to buy a deskwriter and a MacPlus. He does not have
access to the net and knows close to nothing about computers. I have an
Atari ST and know nothing about macs, but I do like my HP DeskJet. My question
is:

- How does the deskwriter work? Why do you have to buy fonts? What font family
  of fonts would you recomend for straight multilingual word processing? Does
  it work with paint and draw programs? Any other info that might come in handy?

Thanks, Andres F. Moreno

mec@mtfmi.att.com (M.CONNICK) (08/10/89)

In article <216@spectra.COM> scott@spectra.UUCP () writes:

>For future reference: does the DJ (DeskJet/+) with MacPrint driver
>handle all the NT-style fonts you get with the DW? How does it handle
>DTP fonts in general? Anybody else want to report on their Grappler or
>macPrint experiences with DJs?

The MacPrint driver will handle any QuickDraw font that has the
appropriate range of sizes available for it. I've seen some of the NT
fonts like Bookman and Palatino that have been converted from
Postscript to QuickDraw by a program whose name escapes me at the
moment.

If you want to get the full range of LaserWriter fonts with a DeskJet,
you can buy the JetLink Express driver. It uses scalable fonts and
comes with the standard Courier, Times, Helvetica, and Symbol for
$149. An additional $199 gives you scalable fonts for all the rest of
the LaserWriter NT fonts. These are all outline fonts scalable from 3
to 127 point. If the package was ALOT cheaper, I'd buy it!

We are pretty much sticking with using Times and Helvetica, although
we've got Symbol, Courier, London, Palencia, York, Neshoto, Clairvaux,
and Alderney fonts in the proper size range as well. We make quite a
bit of use of the built-in DJ Courier font for simple text printouts
because it gives us 2 ppm output. We're seriously considering buying
the DJ Times cartridge as the bulk of our text is in Times and the 2
ppm output is REALLY nice.  The great thing about MacPrint is that it
allows the mixing of built-in, cartridge, and QuickDraw fonts. So we
can use QuickDraw Helvitica titles and DJ cartridge Times text in our
documents and still get very fast output.

Michael Connick    att!mtfmi!mec        201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79153)

rickk@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Rick Klaus) (08/15/89)

Regarding MS Word versions <4.0 and DeskWriter...

   You may or may not know that these versions of Word used their own page
setup and print dialog boxes rather than the ones in the current printer
driver.  They only add option boxes if the recognize the printer and know
what should be there (eg LaserWriter).  To access the printer's dialog box,
you need to hold down the SHIFT key while pulling down the file menu and
selecting page setup or print.  The print dialog does not cause a print, but
it does set the options which you select.  Thus draft mode can be selected
and on subsequent prints, the DeskWriter will be in fast mode.  This is fixed
in Word 4.0, as it uses the printer dialog box and just adds a few buttons
of its own.

Rick Klaus
hplabs!hpvcfs1!rickk

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (08/15/89)

Scott writes

>And another question: does anyone know why the DW has no "Faster
>mode when used with WORD 3.0? Any fix known? Help?

MicroSoft Word uses it's own page setup and print dialog boxes which is why
you don't see the DeskWriter specific options under Word.  To see the
DeskWriter options just hold down the shift key while selecting "print" or
"page setup" from the menu.

Steven Miller